Costa Rica/Dual Citizenship

I was born in New York to two Costa Rican nationals who eventually became US citizens. I was interested in Dual Citizenship. I have not started to research the eligibility requirements with the embassy. Do you know if there is an age limit for the application process?

Hi George,

Thank you for your interesting question.

You don't tell me whether you were born in Costa Rica or in the U.S.  The good news is that if you register with the Registro Civil in Costa Rica, you can have dual citizenship.  You need to present yourself at the Registro Civil in San Josť and do the paperwork.

You can e-mail this person there:  Paola Arguedas

Here's a link (in Spanish):

I hope this helps.

Best of luck,

Costa Rica

Luna Nueva

I am a Costa Rican and I lived in Costa Rica up until eight years ago, when I moved to the United States. I can answer general questions about Costa Rica, like "is it O.K. to drink tap water?" "do I need special vaccinations?", "what kind of transportation is available to go to the beach?", "what if I lose my passport?", "where can I go shopping?", "where is the American Embassy located", etc. Sorry, I cannot answer questions about surfing. I can answer questions in English, Spanish and French.

I used to have a website about Costa Rica and I have volunteered with allexperts for several years.

B.A. in General Studies
Professional Translator