Costa Rica/Costa Rica property sale after divorce

My wife and I were married about 7 years ago in the U.S.  We urchsed a properg together in CR about 3 years ago. We divorced earlier this year in the U.S. And I live in the U.S.  She is an American living in CR. In the settlement, she gets the property in CR. In order to transfer the property to her, she is requesting a Power of Attorney. This seems unusual and I expected it to be a Quit Claim Deed. What is the correct process for releasing my interests in the property so she can sell the CR property?  Please let me know, thanks!

Hello Thomas,
That is correct, you will need to send a Specialized Power of Attorney for the sole purpose of selling the property, this will be done to a third party or to her to sign the transfer of oyur part of the property in Costa Rica.
A Public Notary in Costa Rica is the authority that can do this power of attorney and register it in Costa Rica.
If you like you can contact me also at

Lic.Gregory Kearney Lawson
Attorney/Notary Public  

Costa Rica

Lic.Gregory Kearney Lawson.

American/Costarrican Attorney at Law/Real Estate Broker, We specialize in relocation and expat services related to Costa Rica, Residency, Immigration proceedures,Real Estate sales, International Law, Business Law, Corporations, Family Law, Wedding planning, private investigations and genealogical research, Notarial services, tax shelters, Civil and Criminal Law, serving of court documents. We can also advise on several other aspects related to Costa Rica, such as Tourism, everyday living, culture, etc.

20 years experience with clients from over 75 countries, Presidential candidate for of the Costarrican Barr Association 1999 Presently running for Congress at the Costarrican Legislative Assembly 2014-2018

Past member Masonic Lodge Past President Lions Club Past President Community developement association Past Delegate of the Supreme Tribunal of Elections

La Republica Newspaper, Tico Times, AM Costa Rica, La Prensa Libre, La Nación, Daily Extra, Gamma Liason news agency, SIPA Press, SYGMA News agency, Channel 6,7,11,13,19,42 TV, National USA TV, many radio programs.

Autonomous University of Central America Univerisity of Costa Rica Glendale College Lumbleau Real Estate School University of San Judas Tadeo

Numerous certificates and distinctions from the Barr Association, the Journalists association,the Medical association, the Supreme Court,the Judicial Power (OIJ) Eagle scout badge with three palms