Costa Rica/Marriage in Costa Rica

Hello my question is based on the assumption in the fact that I and my Filipina fiance will have all our documents needed to marry in Costa Rica. Can she and I marry in Costa Rica,then can I bring her to the US in a relatively fast time frame?  I we have been seeing each other for 2 years she is finishing up her annulment process in the Philippines for the last 2 years and we are rather impatient to have to wait at the very minimum another additional 5 to 7 months for a Fiance visa and or another 2 years for marriage spousal visa. Can you help us with this question? Can I bring her here to the U.S. faster if we marry in Costa Rica?

Hi Jerry,

I think you asked me a question about a year ago.  I hope things are going great for you.

I guess I will answer you with a few questions:  Can your fiancée travel to Costa Rica?  Does she have a passport and a tourist visa for Costa Rica? Can she get a tourist visa to travel to the United States?

In the assumption that she is able to travel to Costa Rica as a tourist, as well as yourself, then yes, you could get married in Costa Rica.

This is what you need to do next.  I'll give you three useful links:

I'm sorry, but it appears that it would take 5 to 8 months for her to get a visa :(

She is going to have to present all her papers regarding her annulment, previous marriage, etc. and the papers regarding her new marriage to you.  I believe the marriage certificate in Costa Rica takes about a month to be ready.

I wonder if she could enter the United States on a tourist visa and then request an adjustment of status, but that will be a separate question ;)

Let me know if I can be of further help.

All the best,

Costa Rica

Luna Nueva

I am a Costa Rican and I lived in Costa Rica up until eight years ago, when I moved to the United States. I can answer general questions about Costa Rica, like "is it O.K. to drink tap water?" "do I need special vaccinations?", "what kind of transportation is available to go to the beach?", "what if I lose my passport?", "where can I go shopping?", "where is the American Embassy located", etc. Sorry, I cannot answer questions about surfing. I can answer questions in English, Spanish and French.

I used to have a website about Costa Rica and I have volunteered with allexperts for several years.

B.A. in General Studies
Professional Translator