Costume Jewels/jewelry

Valerie:  I recently inherited an estate and have numerous boxes and suitcases of jewelry, whether its costume or fine jewelry I don't know.  What do you suggest?  The lady that left me this estate always said everything in this safe is antique jewelry. Do I take it to an appraiser or jewelry store or what?  Thanks for any suggestions

Wow!!! Several boxes and suitcases! Dream come true. Antique jewelry can be fine jewelry, real gold sterling etc. VERY valuable. If she kept it in a safe I am certain it is very valuable.. Costume jewelry is also very valuable to collectors, depending on rarity age, condition, etc.. Taking it to an antique store or jeweler they will of coarse try to downplay it and give you little for your treasures. Jewelry stores often will not know about antique and offer you scrap rate for your gold which is high right now, but does not compare to what you would get if it were selling as an antique piece. Appraisers are expensive can cost 40 an hour and take many many hours sorting. But may be worth your dime..Don't hire an appraiser that wants to buy from you.

I don't know what you have there. You can feel free to e-mail me photos at and I can give you ballpark figures of what you can expect. I always love to look. You can take a general picture of the pile.

Costume Jewels

Valerie Terracciano

I can look at pictures and tell if it is costume or fine jewelry and I also have done appraising by photos. I know how to identify makers by their signatures and initials, hallmarks.

I have 20 years of experience pricing and selling vintage costume jewelry. I have sold on EBay for over 10 years and have worked over 100 antique shows worldwide selling buying and collecting antique jewelry. I have recently opened my first online webs tore where I am selling my costume jewelry

I do not belong to any organizations.

I have most of my publicans on my own website.

Self educated through 20 years of reading researching books and Internet.

no awards or honors :(