Costume Jewels/Determining value

Valerie, my mother died recently and I am just now learning how much of a hoarder she was. Almost nothing was ever thrown away. She was in the low-middle income range and wore mostly costume jewelry. She has quite a bit of it and I don't know what to do with it or where to get it appraised. I'm sure most of it has little value, but I always hear about treasures found in a pile of junk. What's the best way to go about determining the value and/or selling them? Also, I'm in the same predicament with her many watches, but I'm not sure if that would be included in your area of expertise. Thanks for your time.

Hello Ed...

I am sorry about the passing of your mother.

There will be trash and certainly a ton of treasure in her jewelry hoarding piles..

If she frequented estate sales; it is a plus, the older costume jewelry holds lots of value.

Not to many jewelers understand and know the value of costume and antique jewelry, they will be mostly interested in her fine jewelry (gold and silver) They will probobly offer you market/scrap price for this and disreguard the rest.

If you would like to take a picture of one of the jewelry piles, I can try to see what type of collector she was and have a better direction to send you in.

I know a lot about watches too.

I do alot of purchasing large lots of jewelry. I will probobly want to buy what you show me, but it is ultimately up to you what you would like to do.

I look forward to the pictures.. I have a very good eye and do alot of online identification.

You can also email me directly at

Costume Jewels

Valerie Terracciano

I can look at pictures and tell if it is costume or fine jewelry and I also have done appraising by photos. I know how to identify makers by their signatures and initials, hallmarks.

I have 20 years of experience pricing and selling vintage costume jewelry. I have sold on EBay for over 10 years and have worked over 100 antique shows worldwide selling buying and collecting antique jewelry. I have recently opened my first online webs tore where I am selling my costume jewelry

I do not belong to any organizations.

I have most of my publicans on my own website.

Self educated through 20 years of reading researching books and Internet.

no awards or honors :(