Counseling/study problems

Question
Hi, I`ve became so stress lately. I`ve studied and keep repeating the same topic 2-3 times but still when I sit for exam, my mind goes blank.I can`t recall back what I`ve learnt. I`ve tried to focus in class but I don`t know why my mind can`t focus although I`ve forced myself to focus. Things that the lecturer explain just can`t stick in my mind. Now, I become very quiet and don`t really talk to my friends and keep studying but I can`t see any improvement in my results. Please tell me what to do.

Answer
Dear Caroline,

First of all a certain amount of stress is normal and healthy when you study for an exam; it can motivate you to study and give the best.
In order to improve you might consider changing the manner of study, what I mean is if you notice that a certain manner doesn't work, just change it; research shows that in order to memorize a certain amount of information one must read the material (the number of repetitions should be even: 2, 4, 6 etc. ) and then, after a pause (2 hours, 1 day, 2 days etc.) one should read again the information using half the number of repetitions you used the first time (1 repetition, 2, 3 etc.)
In order to make the most of the learning process one should use the representation systems one uses the most and the best.
Let me explain: we have five main sensory modalities, or representation systems:
Visual - seeing
Auditory - hearing
Kinaesthetic - feeling
Olfactory - smelling
Gustatory - tasting

If you are a visual person, which means you usually remember faces, colors, images in general very easily, then you should use that when you study. You can do that by using colors to underline the most important sentences.

Another proven way to study better is to combine the sensory modalities, for example visual + auditory (one can read out loud and underline with colors at the same time).

Another thing is to reduce stress by engaging in pleasant activities, I mean balance the amount of time you study with relaxing times, to relieve the pressure.

I hope this helps, write anytime,

Lavinia Albescu

Clinical Psychologist, Psychotherapist, Life Coach
www.reshapeyourlifecounseling.com

Counseling

Lavinia Albescu