Counseling/How to help my fiance with the loss of his father?

Question
Okay, well... I'm 20, and my fiance Paul is 22. Him and I have been together for a little over 3 years, and he lives with my mom and I. My mom agreed to let him move in last year around this time because his father is a drunk and would verbally abuse him constantly and smack him around when he was drunk. One time he came over my house with a nasty black eye and marks all over him and my mom offered to let him move in because she knows he's a good kid. Honestly, we would move out but him and I are both full time students and cannot really swing it right now. He pays her rent, and he's really helpful around the house. He does all of the yard work for us, cleans up around the house and helps take care of our animals.

We actually just got engaged, because we were just in Disney World, and he proposed to me there. Well, we got home Tuesday night and my mom told me that there was a message for Paul on the answering machine but that she had just skipped past it when she heard it was for him. Well, his aunt called and told him that his father died that morning. Apparently he took a bunch of medication, downed a bunch of alcohol and died in his sleep. Paul was silent for the rest of the night. I hardly knew what to say to him except for "I'm sorry." He has hardly spoken since then and he just seems void of any emotion. When he got home from work yesterday afternoon, I asked him if he wanted to talk about it and he just said "No thanks, hun. It's fine." and went to take a shower. He seemed upset afterwards and I asked him again if he wanted to talk about it and he started cursing and shouting about how he just "wanted to forget the bastard, but he didn't have to die." He went on for a few minutes before calming down and he apologized for going off and gave me a kiss. I didn't expect him to go off like that because he's normally very quiet. Never talks more than he sees necessary and always has a very calm, even tone to his voice. I've never seen him get angry like that. I don't know what to do or say.

I don't even know how he's feeling, because I know he hated his father, and quite honestly, his father was a terrible person. But on the other hand, he was still his father. I don't know if he's sad or angry or a combination of both, or something else entirely. I don't even know how to approach the situation. I don't know if he's even planning on going to the funeral. I don't know what to do. I'm just really worried about him because he's hardly spoken. Last night he went up to bed really early, and I came up to lay with him. When I got upstairs, he was just laying in the dark looking at the ceiling, and when I laid down next to him, he turned over and put his arm around me. So I assume that means he wants me there? But I also don't know if he wants to be alone more, and whether I should be giving him more space. Can someone help me? I don't know what to do for him. I'm worried. What should I do?

Answer
Hi, Sara.  Even though he "hated his father," that still demonstrates an emotional attachment - otherwise he would be just indifferent.  So, of course he is going to react to the news.  It will take him time to sort things out since I'm sure he's sorting through a lot of contradictory thoughts and feelings.  I would first assume that anything he is going through is normal and I would trust that he will figure it out eventually.  I wouldn't push him or assume that he "has to talk about it."  People can do good work on their own as they sort things through.  He eventually may want to bounce some ideas off of you but, again, I wouldn't force that or assume that this is something he has to do.  After having worked for Hospice and specifically doing a lot of bereavement counseling, one of the many things I've learned is that everyone has their own unique way of working through grief and there are no right ways or "stages" of grieving that people have to go through.  My advice is to be patient and be there for him.  Trust and assume that he will figure things out. Maybe tell him that you're there for him and if he wants anything to help him he just needs to ask you.  I would also let him know that if he needs space, you understand and, again, he just needs to let you know - just as he needs to let you know when he wants you there. I think that will be enough for him to know that he's not alone and, at the same time, you're not going to be pushing him.  Hope this helps.  Let me know if you have any further questions.  Joel

Counseling

Joel Simon