Counseling/help plase

dear friend:
I am suffering a fourth episode of depression because I had a girlfriend and then I suspected she was pulling my leg. I quit her and abandon her. I am consulting a psychiatrist and taking 5 different medicines for my depression. I am seriously thinking about call her up and ask to be friend again in order to cure this enormous depression.
What do you think?

Auraxa,  My immediate reaction is that you shouldn't do anything until you feel better and can think about this more clearly.  It might make things better; then again, it might make things worse. If your doctor is only prescribing, then I recommend you find yourself a therapist with whom you can figure this out and also figure out how you can change things so you don't need to be depressed anymore.  Obviously if you're taking 5 different medications (I personally think that's a lot) and they aren't making a difference, then you also need to review that - maybe get a second opinion.  To quote Albert Einstein, "true insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result."  Psychiatric medications at best are only short term answers and they should basically help you to talk about what you want to be different in your life - your best hopes. If you're not having that conversation, then you're not getting the full benefits from the meds. Please feel free to respond if you have any follow up thoughts or questions. Best wishes for the future.  Joel

Joel Simon

General questions about counseling, psychotherapy and mental health.

Over 30 years as a therapist, clinical supervisor and solution-focused trainer. I've worked in a variety of settings including adolescent day treatment, inpatient psychiatric hospitals, community mental health clinics, and hospice. Further information is available on my website:

A founding member of the Solution Focused Brief Therapy Association, Academy of Certified Social Workers, Board Certified Diplomate in Clinical Social Work, Licensed Clinical Social Worker (LCSW) in New York State.

Co-authored "Solution-Focused Brief Practice With Long-Term Clients in Mental Health Services: I'm More Than My Label." Authored: "Solution-Focused Practice in End-of-Life and Grief Counseling" Several articles published in professional journals including 2 with Insoo Kim Berg. Further details are available at

Masters of Social Work (Yeshiva University 1978). 5 years training in Transactional Analysis, certified in Advanced Ericksonian Psychotherapy and Hypnosis with the New York Society (NYSEPH), Advanced training and advanced supervision seminar in solution-focused brief therapy with the co-developers of the approach, Insoo Kim Berg and Steve de Shazer