my name is Elizabeth and I am 20 years old college student. I am writing because I just found out that I got an F for a course I was taking over the Summer it is the first time I EVER get an F and I am feeling like my world is ending, which may sound stupid or sill but there is no other way for me to describe how I am feeling right now. It was a computer programming course (nothing to do with my major) but still, an F is an F no matter what! I've tried to calm myself down but its just not working, so I was wondering if you might have any suggestions about how I should deal with this.

Thanks in advance,

Hi Elizabeth,

Getting an "F" really hurts and does cause a lot of anxiety. It also hurts your GPA.  One possibility is to take a couple of "easy" courses just to bring up your GPA.  

Also, you can talk to your adviser to see if he/she has any other ideas that could bring up your GPA.   Since being a "techie" is not your major, you may still need to ask your adviser if that "F" affects your major.  I think in the Counseling department, if you have two Cs or below, you are out of the  program.  However, the "F" was in a course that is not in your major.

Hope these ideas help.

Dr. Pat


All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Patricia A. Schafer, Ph.D.


I specialize in various forms of depression and Seasonal Affective Disorder (SAD) and also stress, phobias, life changes, grief, women's issues, men's issues, etc. My licenses are: Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor -Supervisor(LPCC-S) and Licensed Professional Chemical Dependency Counselor (LICDC) in the state of Ohio and a National Certified Counselor (NCC).


12 years experience. I counsel substance abusers, families of alcoholics/drug addictions, and codependency issues. I also specialize in social phobia; stress; anxieties; women`s issues; grief and adjustments to life changes. Some therapeutic techniques used are: CBT (Cognitive Behavioral Therapy), DBT (Dialectical Behaviorial Therapy)REBT (Rational Emotive), SFT (Solution Focused) and 12-Step, etc. If you live in the Cleveland area, you can contact me at my office for an appointment at: 440-349-4521. I am on various insurance panels and EAP programs.


Experiences of prejudice among individuals in African American and Caucasian Interracial Marriages: A Q-methodological Study (Doctoral Dissertation - December 2008; Wilsnack and Beckman's book: Alcohol Problems in Women (1984). Alcohol use and marital violence: Female and Male Differences in reactions to alcohol(pages 260-279.

Ph.D. In counseling MA In Counseling BS In Psychology

Awards and Honors
Previous president of NCOCA (North Central Ohio Counseling Association); previous president of Chi Sigma Iota. Two years VISTA volunteer on Navajo reservation in Inscription House and Shonto.

Past/Present Clients
Do to HIPAA privacy laws, I do not release any info about my client.

©2017 All rights reserved.