Counseling/Psychology/ Confidentiality

Question
I am in pursuit of a Master's in Psychology and this question was asked by our professor for our assignment that is due. Thank you in advance!

Have you ever had to breach confidentiality with a client? Can you tell me a little bit about this situation?

2.   Have you ever considered breaching confidentiality with a client, but decided against it? If so, can you tell me about this situation?

3.   Some people in the field of psychology feel that the rules for confidentiality are too strict while others think they are too lenient. What are your thoughts?

4.   What is one piece of real world advice you can give me about confidentiality?

5.    In your opinion, what is the most important thing I need to know about confidentiality?

Answer
1. Have you ever had to breach confidentiality with a client? No.

2.   Have you ever considered breaching confidentiality with a client, but decided against it? No.

I think that the rules are just right. Confidentiality is necessary for the therapeutic process. Clients need to feel safe. However, the safety of society is also important. Should someone be in danger, that needs to be prevented. If a judge sees a reason to order records to be released, this would be another situation where I would feel comfortable complying. This has never happened, however, and the client is aware of exceptions to the rule.

If you want to retain your career and self-respect, always observe confidentiality. Don't gossip. Don't talk about your work in public areas where you don't know who can overhear you. Lock your files. Watch what you put in email.

Violating it can cost you your license, your practice, and your effectiveness.

Laura Giles, LCSW  

Counseling

Laura Giles, MSW