Age 21

Gender male

Before two years, I was diagnosed with anxiety. At that time my main problems were, lack of sleep, mood swings, lack of confidence, headaches and panic attacks. I visited a psychiatrist, they prescribed me Escitalopram (cipralex). I then started to take cipralex. After taking that medicine for three to four months, my condition has been just fabulous. I went to doctor to inform him that I am alright now. Doctor told me not to discontinue the medicine now, so I continued taking that medicine for next six months, after six months, i visited the doctor again, he told me to gradually discontinue the medicine, so slowly slowly i began to discontinue that medicine (after taking it for more than nine months). After I stopped taking Escitalopram, my condition was good.

But now after one year, i am feeling A little shyness and panic attack feelings. When i have to face a big crowd alone (just like going to the stage and facing a huge viewers alone) i feel so anxious at that time, i just feel that i will lose my conscious now, i will fall down , my hearth and breathing become a Little fast. please give me some tips on how to behave and what to do when you come to know that you are going to lose your consciousness or going to suffer a panic attack. Because after few weeks, i am going to my police training(starting my career as police), where i have a face a lot of crowd because at that place, there will be at least 450 students with ME for training.

Thats why i am little nervous, please help me, i will be thankful to you.

Hello Ali - I* understand you seek a way to feel less nervous and anxious. Often such feelings - when excessive - come from some early-childhood trauma.

If this is true for you, you can learn to heal without medication:

I encourage you to study this free online "lesson":

If you have questions about these, please ask. Good luck with your training!

- Pete

Peter Gerlach, MSW

I can answer questions about mood disorders, depression, suicide, relationships, communication skills, problem solving, clear thinking, bonding disorders, trauma recovery, addiction management, grieving, shame, guilt, fear, reality distortion, and trust disorders; courtship, family functioning, "problem kids," mediation, (re)marriage, divorce, stepfamilies, stepparenting, boundaries, self-neglect, abuse, parental neglect, personality subselves, ("parts work"). I cannot answer legal or medical questions.

I maintained a private therapy practice near Chicago for 27 years, and have worked with over 1,000 men, women, couples, and families on a wide range of personal and family problems. I have been in personal recovery from growing up in an alcoholic family since 1986, and have worked with five therapists to heal my own psychological wounds. I maintained a "warm (phone) line" for callers on the topics above for 20 years, and have taught over 200 seminars and classes in midwestern universities, churches, support groups, and schools since 1981. I have practiced internal-family therapy ("parts work") with trauma-recoverers since 1991.

National Stepfamily Resource Center (NSRC) Experts Council; Compassion and Choices, and Final Exit Network

# Several hundred articles in my non-profit "Break the Cycle!" Web site at These articles are augmented by over 150 educational YouTube videos .

# six books on childhood-trauma recovery, effective communication, and stepfamily courtship, coparenting, and management.

A bachelors degree in mechanical engineering (BSME, 1959) from Stanford University, a Masters degree in clinical Social Work, (MSW, 1981), and over 500 hours of post-grad training in the topics above - including clinical hypnosis, spirituality, codependence, addicrtion-management, and guided imagery. My post-grad traning includes two 9-month internships on doing internal-family therapy at the University of Illinois.

Hundreds of grateful emails and comments from students and clients all over the world.

Over 1,000 average Midwestern-US women, men, couples, and families. A physical disability limits me to doing telephone and Skype counseling now.