Counseling/Friendship: Knowing what to do

Question
Hi Pete,
Here is my issue/ question:  I have this friend whom I feel a particular closeness to, whom I'll refer to as Karissa.  To give you an idea of how we met, I should explain that I am 33 years old, and she is 59; I am living at my mom's house, as I have no money, and Karissa is a neighbor.  About a year ago, I had a hairdresser, whom I used for 20 years fry up my hair, so as a result, I cut ties.  I should explain now that Karissa is a hairdresser, and she has since taken over (she works primarily in real estate.  I feel like fate brought us together, as these things really don't happen a lot.  Karissa and I have as a result formed a friendship with vulnerability.  
At any rate, here is the glitch:  It's very rare that I find a friend whom I can share anything with that is on my mind.  I have tried to just ease into the friendship, as I've learned that manipulating a relationship of any kind does not work.  I should explain that I am in a serious relationship with my boyfriend (who is actually 2 years younger than Karissa), however, I feel I need at least one girlfriend whom I can share my secrets with, and want to move things along faster.  I should explain too that when my boyfriend's mother was alive (she was Peggy), I could tell her anything, and always felt like I had an open door that would never close, and her passing is another event that occurred when Karissa and I started talking more.  Not having Peggy around has been very emotionally draining, and there was a certain mentor (we'll call her Rose) I once had, whom I was hoping would support me.  To my surprise, Rose stepped away, wouldn't talk to me, and has not since.  I really did not see that coming.  I was with Karissa for the last two days, and so wanted to tell her how much she means to me, and that I want to keep the door open.  I had mentioned this issue to a few cousins, and two told me to ask Karissa to become blood sisters with me... I don't really think in this day in age that would happen (at least not the traditional way), however, I'm thinking I would like to "seal" our friendship somehow, and just agree to treat each other as family, particularly since I come from a dysfunctional family, which is hard on me.  What do you think I should do.  Even with all of the time I've spent with Karissa these past 48 hours, I couldn't tell her.  I gave her a friendship card, however, as I started to explain that I just want to make sure our bond lasts, I lost my courage.  This is so hard!!  Please help; I'm so lost, and if I knew our friendship was permanent, I would have so much more peace in my life.

Answer
Hi Katie. if you had a dysfunctional childhood family, you probably inherited some significant psychological wounds:  http://sfhelp.org/gwc/gwc.htm  //  http://sfhelp.org/cycle.htm.

Common wounds are [1] fears of abandonment and rejection, and [2] self-distrust and insecurity.

I respectfully suggest you study online "lesson 1" - it's about reducing wounds and increasing self-trust and confidence.: http://sfhelp.org/gwc/guide1.htm

In my experience, trying to make a friendship permanent is not possible. What IS possible is to nourish the relationship you have, and use the Serenity Prayer to accept whatever happens:  http://sfhelp.org/pop/prayers.htm.

With compassion, Pete

Counseling

Peter Gerlach, MSW