Counseling/Advice about a boy.

Hello. My name is Louise.
In recent months, I had to relocate, in order to seize a professional opportunity, and also because the separation of my husband.
I enrolled my youngest son (11 years old)in a private school, and he seems to be doing fine. Last week, the school requested a full physical exam of the boy, so I scheduled an appointment. However, he is asking me, repeatedly, to let my stepson, his half-brother, who is still living with us,(he is 22), to take him to the doctor, instead of me. The boy explains that: "I don't want you to see me naked".
In fact, in his last examination his father was with him.
Since my stepson is willing to take him,
Do you think it would be okay or I should take him, anyway?

Thank you in advance.

Hi, Louise.  Sounds like your son is discovering puberty.  Makes perfect sense that he doesn't want Mom to see him naked.  Assuming that you trust your stepson, I would respect your son's request.  You could let the doctor know that the stepson will be accompanying your son and request that the doctor fill you in on the results.  Joel

Joel Simon

General questions about counseling, psychotherapy and mental health.

Over 30 years as a therapist, clinical supervisor and solution-focused trainer. I've worked in a variety of settings including adolescent day treatment, inpatient psychiatric hospitals, community mental health clinics, and hospice. Further information is available on my website:

A founding member of the Solution Focused Brief Therapy Association, Academy of Certified Social Workers, Board Certified Diplomate in Clinical Social Work, Licensed Clinical Social Worker (LCSW) in New York State.

Co-authored "Solution-Focused Brief Practice With Long-Term Clients in Mental Health Services: I'm More Than My Label." Authored: "Solution-Focused Practice in End-of-Life and Grief Counseling" Several articles published in professional journals including 2 with Insoo Kim Berg. Further details are available at

Masters of Social Work (Yeshiva University 1978). 5 years training in Transactional Analysis, certified in Advanced Ericksonian Psychotherapy and Hypnosis with the New York Society (NYSEPH), Advanced training and advanced supervision seminar in solution-focused brief therapy with the co-developers of the approach, Insoo Kim Berg and Steve de Shazer