Hello, my son is 25 and has severe OCD and anxiety. He cannot live on his own, but does it mean that we need the guardianship? He is mentally competent, but there are periods (weeks and months) when he cannot do anything because his anxiety is so bad or he is completely consumed with obsessive thoughts and compulsions. If a lawyer takes care of the guardianship, do you know by chance what kind of fee they would take? Thank you!

Alex,  I think this may be more of a legal rather than mental health question.  It makes sense that you are concerned about your son's future and his ability to care for himself especially as regards his financial security.  The question you ask seems to be directed at his ability to handle his own finances.  You might want to start by posing this question to an attorney from this site.  There are a number who will answer legal questions. At least, that will give you some initial ideas before you contact a local attorney.  Joel  

Joel Simon

General questions about counseling, psychotherapy and mental health.

Over 30 years as a therapist, clinical supervisor and solution-focused trainer. I've worked in a variety of settings including adolescent day treatment, inpatient psychiatric hospitals, community mental health clinics, and hospice. Further information is available on my website:

A founding member of the Solution Focused Brief Therapy Association, Academy of Certified Social Workers, Board Certified Diplomate in Clinical Social Work, Licensed Clinical Social Worker (LCSW) in New York State.

Co-authored "Solution-Focused Brief Practice With Long-Term Clients in Mental Health Services: I'm More Than My Label." Authored: "Solution-Focused Practice in End-of-Life and Grief Counseling" Several articles published in professional journals including 2 with Insoo Kim Berg. Further details are available at

Masters of Social Work (Yeshiva University 1978). 5 years training in Transactional Analysis, certified in Advanced Ericksonian Psychotherapy and Hypnosis with the New York Society (NYSEPH), Advanced training and advanced supervision seminar in solution-focused brief therapy with the co-developers of the approach, Insoo Kim Berg and Steve de Shazer