You are here:

Counseling/How can I help my fiance


Okay, I'm 22, and I am a dance teacher. My fiance, Robert, is 25. He is from Sweden and he moved here with his parents when he was 18. We met at college and immediately hit it off and started dating. We moved in together when I was 20 and we got engaged 3 months ago, and I'm so excited to marry my best friend. He is sweet and kind and he makes me laugh, but he has some problems with anxiety and depression. He's a graphic designer, so he works from home. Sometimes he is just fine, and he likes to go out and be social, but he'll have these days where he doesn't want to leave home because he is so depressed and anxious. It usually lasts about a week where he'll sort of hibernate and won't go anywhere. I know that a lot of his anxiety stems from how he talks. He has a thick Swedish accent and is very self conscious about it. He's easy to understand; he just says a few words wrong or forgets a word sometimes. In private or with friends, he isnít afraid to mess up the pronunciation of a word or say ďwhatís that word again?Ē but in public, he gets nervous. I can see the gears turning in his head every time he has to talk to a stranger, trying to think out the words and how to say them, and I can tell he's nervous. He says that heís afraid that people will think that heís stupid. Itís sad to me, because I love how he talks; I love that about him. It doesn't make him sound stupid at all, but he's so worried all the time. I donít know how to help him get over this. What can I do? Or how can he help himself?

Hi Adriana,

Thank you for asking me a question.  

If there is any anxiety attack that requires a bit of counseling session and hypnotherapy I guess you should go. Not that you're boyfriend is unhealthy but knowing the root of the depression and anxiety would help him a lot to know how to cope.

In regards to his accent, why not learn his language?  Knowing that you are interested to speaking his language would easen him up to speak English comfortably because you can say a word that would sound cute in his language.  It's like giving him a dose of his own medicine; he can be entertained the way you feel with him when he speaks your language.  

Seek professional help and I am sure it will be a big help.

Thank you.



All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts




I can answer any counseling concern related to coping with stress, emotional imbalance, sibling rivalry, marital relationship, spiritual confusion that affected/affecting and will affect your well-being. I am not the usual "what is in the box!" type of counselor. I am very polite and gentle but direct to help you understand your situation. I also use pastoral technique to help you understand that human needs supernatural power from the source in order to cope with stressors. Please be informed that I am very much welcoming in any questions you would like to ask but PLEASE DON'T BE RUDE in the stating the subject/concern. ANY FOUL LANGUAGE can restrict me to entertain your queries. Thank you very much.


I am a Counselor with BS Behavioral Sciences degree. I have experienced in counseling both individual and groupd sessions. I have conducted a lot of workshops related to peer counseling and healthy mind body and spirit related topic. I did a couple of thesis counseling session when I used to work in a Medical College. I have been commended for my research work. My passion is to listen and be able to assist anyone who needs problem-solving solution.

Psychological Educators' Society (2001-2004)

BS Behavioral Sciences Counselor for 5 years Researcher for 2 years Psychometrician for 2 years Adept in counseling, use of psychological testing and administration and interpretation/use e-clectic technique

Awards and Honors
Graduated with Honours (CLINICAL OFFICE ASSISTANT)

©2017 All rights reserved.