Counseling/How can I help my fiance

Question
Okay, I'm 22, and I am a dance teacher. My fiance, Robert, is 25. He is from Sweden and he moved here with his parents when he was 18. We met at college and immediately hit it off and started dating. We moved in together when I was 20 and we got engaged 3 months ago, and I'm so excited to marry my best friend. He is sweet and kind and he makes me laugh, but he has some problems with anxiety and depression. He's a graphic designer, so he works from home. Sometimes he is just fine, and he likes to go out and be social, but he'll have these days where he doesn't want to leave home because he is so depressed and anxious. It usually lasts about a week where he'll sort of hibernate and won't go anywhere. I know that a lot of his anxiety stems from how he talks. He has a thick Swedish accent and is very self conscious about it. He's easy to understand; he just says a few words wrong or forgets a word sometimes. In private or with friends, he isnít afraid to mess up the pronunciation of a word or say ďwhatís that word again?Ē but in public, he gets nervous. I can see the gears turning in his head every time he has to talk to a stranger, trying to think out the words and how to say them, and I can tell he's nervous. He says that heís afraid that people will think that heís stupid. Itís sad to me, because I love how he talks; I love that about him. It doesn't make him sound stupid at all, but he's so worried all the time. I donít know how to help him get over this. What can I do? Or how can he help himself?

Answer
Hi Adriana,

Thank you for asking me a question.  

If there is any anxiety attack that requires a bit of counseling session and hypnotherapy I guess you should go. Not that you're boyfriend is unhealthy but knowing the root of the depression and anxiety would help him a lot to know how to cope.

In regards to his accent, why not learn his language?  Knowing that you are interested to speaking his language would easen him up to speak English comfortably because you can say a word that would sound cute in his language.  It's like giving him a dose of his own medicine; he can be entertained the way you feel with him when he speaks your language.  

Seek professional help and I am sure it will be a big help.

Thank you.

Maia  

Counseling

Maia