I am a 34 years old Indian man who went to study to UK for a period of 2 years. There i shared at house with 4 europeans and 1 indian. But i had an argument with this indian guy and he asked me not to talk with him anymore. We were living in the same house for more than 6 months without talking to each other. I developed a kind of hatred for him and started developing friendship with other european inmates. After 6 months suddenly he said he was sorry and we should be friends again. But i couldn't forgive him and kept ignoring him. I also noticed that some of my relatives living in Uk were also least interested in talking to me or asking me about my well-being. Same thing was true about my family back in india. I became very lonely and started feeling hatred for the indian community. So i found some solace in company of europeans but i started becoming distant from the indians, may it be abroad or in india. I have been carrying this bitterness till now after coming back to india and am not intereted in talking with any one. I committed suicide attempt when i was returning to india because i was worried about my future in india as i had moved away from my culture so much. Now i am not able to get along with people and culture here. So i keep getting suicidal thoughts as i can't hold on to a job or have good relationships. I have been diagonized with bipolar disorder and am receiving medication for the same.
Please advice.

Hello Prashant. From your description, you may have inherited significant psychological wounds from your family:

If this is so, you can regain genuine confidence and hope for your future by patiently studying and applying online "lesson 1" here:  This is similar to a college course, so be patient and take your time.

You may also benefit from studying these other online lessons over time:

If you have questions about these lessons, please ask.

Prashant, you are a unique, valuable man. I encourage you to believe in yourself and work toward identifying and pursuing your life purpose - Pete  

Peter Gerlach, MSW

I can answer questions about mood disorders, depression, suicide, relationships, communication skills, problem solving, clear thinking, bonding disorders, trauma recovery, addiction management, grieving, shame, guilt, fear, reality distortion, and trust disorders; courtship, family functioning, "problem kids," mediation, (re)marriage, divorce, stepfamilies, stepparenting, boundaries, self-neglect, abuse, parental neglect, personality subselves, ("parts work"). I cannot answer legal or medical questions.

I maintained a private therapy practice near Chicago for 27 years, and have worked with over 1,000 men, women, couples, and families on a wide range of personal and family problems. I have been in personal recovery from growing up in an alcoholic family since 1986, and have worked with five therapists to heal my own psychological wounds. I maintained a "warm (phone) line" for callers on the topics above for 20 years, and have taught over 200 seminars and classes in midwestern universities, churches, support groups, and schools since 1981. I have practiced internal-family therapy ("parts work") with trauma-recoverers since 1991.

National Stepfamily Resource Center (NSRC) Experts Council; Compassion and Choices, and Final Exit Network

# Several hundred articles in my non-profit "Break the Cycle!" Web site at These articles are augmented by over 150 educational YouTube videos .

# six books on childhood-trauma recovery, effective communication, and stepfamily courtship, coparenting, and management.

A bachelors degree in mechanical engineering (BSME, 1959) from Stanford University, a Masters degree in clinical Social Work, (MSW, 1981), and over 500 hours of post-grad training in the topics above - including clinical hypnosis, spirituality, codependence, addicrtion-management, and guided imagery. My post-grad traning includes two 9-month internships on doing internal-family therapy at the University of Illinois.

Hundreds of grateful emails and comments from students and clients all over the world.

Over 1,000 average Midwestern-US women, men, couples, and families. A physical disability limits me to doing telephone and Skype counseling now.