Thank you in advance for your time :) I am not quite sure you
Are the correct person for this question, but I will give it a shot.

I often wonder if I am just unique in the way my mind works,
Or if I actually have a mental illness that is creating this:
For the most part, my mind is extremely quiet. It is really rare
That I find myself thinking about anything. I experience emotion/sensation
Thru the day, but my '"inner world" is extremely quiet. It is often
Quite peaceful in this non-thinking state, and when I converse, what I say seems to just
Arise. Other times this sensation of inner quietude leaves me feeling a bit
Detached and generally in-interested in others day-to-day conversations.

I have tried to keep this brief, let me know if you need more information.

Ed, all depends.  What you describe sounds like a self-hypnotic technique - something that many people would love to be able to do - so, yes, in that case you are unique.  The quetion is, are you in control or does it happen whether you welcome it or not?  If you do have control of it, then I suggest you use it well. Does it interfere with relationships or you work/education?  Obviously, you don't want it to do that and it probably would be useful to figure out how to control that particular talent of yours.  Hopefully this is helpful.  Let me know if you need more.  Joel

Joel Simon

General questions about counseling, psychotherapy and mental health.

Over 30 years as a therapist, clinical supervisor and solution-focused trainer. I've worked in a variety of settings including adolescent day treatment, inpatient psychiatric hospitals, community mental health clinics, and hospice. Further information is available on my website:

A founding member of the Solution Focused Brief Therapy Association, Academy of Certified Social Workers, Board Certified Diplomate in Clinical Social Work, Licensed Clinical Social Worker (LCSW) in New York State.

Co-authored "Solution-Focused Brief Practice With Long-Term Clients in Mental Health Services: I'm More Than My Label." Authored: "Solution-Focused Practice in End-of-Life and Grief Counseling" Several articles published in professional journals including 2 with Insoo Kim Berg. Further details are available at

Masters of Social Work (Yeshiva University 1978). 5 years training in Transactional Analysis, certified in Advanced Ericksonian Psychotherapy and Hypnosis with the New York Society (NYSEPH), Advanced training and advanced supervision seminar in solution-focused brief therapy with the co-developers of the approach, Insoo Kim Berg and Steve de Shazer