Country Music/song title/artist needed

Question
My cousin is trying to remember the name of a Song. I believe she said it's about a trucker who picks up a hitch-hiker named Rachel who leaves her bag behind when he drops her off. Finds she died years ago when he tries to return it.

Answer
Hi Kathy! I'm not sure that there is just one song that fits this description.  It's based on a bit of an urban legend usually called "The Vanishing Hitchhiker," and there have been several songs through the years that follow a similar story.

This link does a pretty good job of describing it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vanishing_hitchhiker

The information I could find about the songs:

The vanishing hitchhiker was the inspiration for Dickey Lee's recording on a 45 rpm single (TCF-102) of the song "Laurie", which is subtitled "Strange Things Happen ..." Country Joe McDonald wrote and performed a song about a vanishing hitchhiker called "Hold On It's Coming", later covered by New Riders of the Purple Sage. Other modern songs include "I Guess It Doesn't Matter Anymore" by Blackmore's Night on Village Lanterne and "Bringing Mary Home" by the Country Gentlemen originally on Starday's subsidiary, Nashville Records 45 rpm # 2018 in 1964.

Hope this helps!
--Beth

Country Music

BethB