Cows/Cattle/Bull Breeding Habits

Someone told my husband that a bull will only mate with a cow until she becomes pregnant and after that will never mate with that particular cow again. To me, this sounds as absurd as a man only having sex with his wife until she gives birth to their first child. Can the cow story be true?

That's not true!  Bulls will only mate with a female when she's in heat.  That's the only time the female will stand for him in one spot to be bred.  Once she's pregnant, and calves, she begins going into heat again 28 days later.  The same bull will breed her as many time as this cycle repeats.  As long as you own a bull, and you have females, he will breed them all over and over.  Hope this helps.

Becky Gee

Questions about Dairy cattle. All breeds and all stages of life. I'll answer questions about breeding, milking, common dieases, antibiotic withold times, birthing, weaning, nutrition. Please talk to your veterinarian for specific health questions, or in an emergency, as I AM NOT A VET.

I worked for a small animal veterinarian as an assistant for 4 years. At the same time I was a resident herd manager for a Brown Swiss dairy farm. I've worked with cattle at all stages of life, helped with birthing, and general care of dairy cattle. I'm currently in college majoring in animal science

Lake County 4-H program

Second year animal science student at The Ohio State University