Cows/Cattle/Cattle magnet

Dear Becky,

I heard that cow eats magnet in the stomach.Do you have idea how many Gauss of the cow magnet usually have in one piece? How strength does one cow magnet is usually?

It is recommended that owners administer a magnet to cattle for their safety.  Sometimes when cows are grazing out in the field, they may pick up small pieces of metal.  The magnet will stay in the rumen and keep any pieces of metal from going through the gut.  The magnet is heavy and won't leave the rumen.  The rumen will not digest the magnet.  You usually only need to give the cow one magnet in their life.  One magnet should be strong enough to keep the cow safe.  You'll want to administer the magnet like you would a bolus of asprine or any type of pill.  Use a balling gun, and make sure it goes all the way down the cows throat.  

Becky Gee

Questions about Dairy cattle. All breeds and all stages of life. I'll answer questions about breeding, milking, common dieases, antibiotic withold times, birthing, weaning, nutrition. Please talk to your veterinarian for specific health questions, or in an emergency, as I AM NOT A VET.

I worked for a small animal veterinarian as an assistant for 4 years. At the same time I was a resident herd manager for a Brown Swiss dairy farm. I've worked with cattle at all stages of life, helped with birthing, and general care of dairy cattle. I'm currently in college majoring in animal science

Lake County 4-H program

Second year animal science student at The Ohio State University