Cows/Cattle/cow - pregnant cant get up

I have a cow that went down about 4 days ago. We have been successful at picking her up and she walks around and grazes. But as of today she keeps falling down consistently. She is pregnant and im not sure if her calf has died as she is quite skinny now. I gave her some antibiotic 2 days ago and it doesnt seem to have helped. The animal is a Boran breed in central africa about 6 years old.

Hi Cooke,

I believe this is a type of thing you need to go to your veterinarian with.  Not knowing the cow's past history, what you're feeding her or anything of that nature is the one thing that I really cannot answer this question for you.

Anything could be the reason she's becoming a downer cow: nutritional deficiency, pelvic nerve is being pinched by the calf in her, etc.  Please I highly recommend seeing your veterinarian, if you have one in your area, to have a look at her and see what can be done.

I'm sorry I couldn't be of any more help.

Karin L

Forage-Beef Extension Specialist. Knowledge in almost everything to do with beef and dairy cattle. Strong points include forage production, pasture and rangeland management, grazing management, breeding/calving/weaning, cattle genetics, breeds, feeding and nutrition, starting-up, and most physiological questions. I AM NOT A BOVINE VETERINARIAN; so please any questions that concern serious health of your cattle must be taken to your local large animal veterinarian.

Part of a farm family that bought, raised, and sold stocker/backgrounder steers; assisted with health management, handling, feeding, pasture management, and forage production. Also worked at local mixed-practice veterinary clinic. Experience with cattle included breeding soundness exams on bulls, castration, fixing prolapses, preg-checking, C-sections, calf pulling, vaccinations, etc. Worked at a local farm and ranch supply store selling medications and feed for livestock. Research assistant for the University of Alberta with range health assessments, and helping with various rangeland research projects. Always learning and gaining more experience as time goes on.

Alberta Farm Express Agri-News and Call of the Land (Alberta Agriculture)

BSc in Agriculture (Animal Science Major) @ University of Alberta, June 2015 graduate, but started studies in 2005. An Sci degree allowed me to specialize and gain significant knowledge in beef & dairy cattle production,animal behaviour and reproduction, ruminant nutrition, forage production/management, rangeland and pasture management & ecology, and plant identification.

Various eef and forage producers in Alberta, CAN