I have a cow that seems to be prolaspsing. I am wondering what the dangers are. She is about 6 months pregnant. Last year when she was pregnant she prolasped but was fine after she gave birth. She is bleeding this time which she did not do last year. What are my options?

Yuck..that is NOT a good situation.  Generally cows prolapse after calving.. it's a combination of relaxed muscles and straining to push the calf out that can help cause that, but some cows are just prone to it.  I'm guessing she's a Brahman influenced bred cow?

I would call a vet.  It's not going to get better, and it could easily get worse.  The vet will have to push whatever is hanging out back in, and put a couple of stitches in, which you'll have to cut when the cow starts calving.  If you do nothing (I don't know how much is actually hanging out) if she makes it to calving she'll likely push the entire uterus out with the calf.  

If she  makes it through this pregnancy, I would definately ship her.  I've had cows prolapse once and never have another problem, but if it's two or more times, she'll likely do it every time.

Good luck!

Eileen DuJardin

I can answer most types of cattle questions, primarily beef types. Genetics, breeding, basic care, herd health and management, and showing. I'm knowledgeable in forages and feeding. Non emergency health and soundness questions. I am not a veterinary, and can't answer critical care questions. Call your local large animal vet for that service.

I've been a registered cattle breeder for over 20 years. My husband and I run a 250 acre cattle ranch in Texas. I've raised dairy cattle, commercial cattle, and registered and show cattle. I'm on our county Beef and Forage committee.

American Simmental Association. American Brahman Breeders Association. Falls County Beef and Forage Committee. Texas Farm Bureau

Associates Degree in computer science.

Many ribbons and placings in cattle showing, with most recent being: 2011 Fort Worth Stock Show, Senior Champion Simmental, and Houston Livestock Show Reserve Champion Senior Simmental.