Cows/Cattle/yearly cost dairy cattle vet bill

i am intrested inbuying a dairy cow and was wondering the yearly cost of vet bills for a dairy cow

Sorry it took me so long to get back with you.  Good question, yearly vet bills.  Well, part of the cost would depend on the age of the cow you buy.  Just like people, the older they get, the more health problems they get.  Buying a heifer (young between ages birth and 2) would be your best bet. The only vet costs you would have would be vaccines and wellness exams.  2 vet visits a year usually.  This runs about $150.00 per visit.  So about $300 for the year. If they have problems though, it will run higher.  Vet bills for emergencies can go up to $600-$1000 depending on the emergency.  Hope this helps!

Becky Gee

Questions about Dairy cattle. All breeds and all stages of life. I'll answer questions about breeding, milking, common dieases, antibiotic withold times, birthing, weaning, nutrition. Please talk to your veterinarian for specific health questions, or in an emergency, as I AM NOT A VET.

I worked for a small animal veterinarian as an assistant for 4 years. At the same time I was a resident herd manager for a Brown Swiss dairy farm. I've worked with cattle at all stages of life, helped with birthing, and general care of dairy cattle. I'm currently in college majoring in animal science

Lake County 4-H program

Second year animal science student at The Ohio State University