Cows/Cattle/sick steer

I have a steer that is 1 year old and has diarrhea. He is laying down and doesn't seem to feel well. This is my first steer and do not know what to do.

Hi Jim,

Sorry to hear about your steer.  Can you give me a little more information please?

Is he on full feed?  Is he a show steer, or one you're growing out to process?  How long has he had diarrhea?  Does he get up and down, or kick at his belly?  Do you see any blood in the diarrhea?  When he's feeling okay, what is he eating?  Is he on pasture?

If you'll answer these questions, I'll try and help!  You can send your response to me at:

Eileen DuJardin

I can answer most types of cattle questions, primarily beef types. Genetics, breeding, basic care, herd health and management, and showing. I'm knowledgeable in forages and feeding. Non emergency health and soundness questions. I am not a veterinary, and can't answer critical care questions. Call your local large animal vet for that service.

I've been a registered cattle breeder for over 20 years. My husband and I run a 250 acre cattle ranch in Texas. I've raised dairy cattle, commercial cattle, and registered and show cattle. I'm on our county Beef and Forage committee.

American Simmental Association. American Brahman Breeders Association. Falls County Beef and Forage Committee. Texas Farm Bureau

Associates Degree in computer science.

Many ribbons and placings in cattle showing, with most recent being: 2011 Fort Worth Stock Show, Senior Champion Simmental, and Houston Livestock Show Reserve Champion Senior Simmental.