Cows/Cattle/sick bottle calves. Lost one this morning.

Question
Ginger and Tiny
Ginger and Tiny  

Sugar
Sugar  
Ok, I am not a stranger to raising bottle calves. I recently got four more. One is 5 weeks old. The others are 4 weeks old. I have two that were sick. All have a cough, contributing that to the changing weather of hot to cold and being salebarn calves. The one I lost this morning, I knew I would probably lose. But she ate at every feeding and drank water and was already eating feed. She had a snotty nose and almost acted constipated. I would rub her back and it helped her sometimes go to the bathroom. Last night she was grunting a lot. I gave her electrolytes and water. She drank both. This morning she was dead. What could I have done to help her? The second calf is the oldest one. Ginger has a cough, pants, eats every feeding. But she get wore out just standing to eat. She stands with her tongue out panting. I'm treating her with Baytril and Banamine. What else could you suggest? No diarrhea. I have grown kind of fond of Ginger and don't want to lose her.

Answer
Hi Jen,

I'm really sorry for your loss!

It sounds like they have some form of respiratory disease, since with the coughing, panting, snotty nose and lethargic-ness (if there's such a word), also sounds like they may be feverish, it's typical of a calf like yours to get that, coupled with what you mentioned.  

As right now, I don't think you did anything wrong, sometimes some form of respiratory (if I remember right) can hit a calf so hard and fast that there's nothing you can do to save it.  Keep going with what you're doing, but maybe, if possible, have a vet look at them to see what can be done and whether or not your treatments are working.

Other than that, I wish you good luck and hope for the best for these calves of yours!

-Karin

Cows/Cattle

Karin L