Cows/Cattle/10 day heifer calf pees pretty much not stop

I have a 10 day old Heifer calf that seems to be having a problem with urinating non-stop. Her tail is raised and seems to be leaking or peeing nonstop. She is nursing good, seems to have a healthy attitude, is alert and active. I've never seen this..what do you suggest? She did have a difficult birth, we had to pull at the end when she was stuck at the hips. I had to tube her colostrum and I had to feed her with bottles for 6 days until she figured out that momma had the good stuff.

Hello Vickie,

I have never heard of this nor seen this before either!  It almost sounds like the sphincter muscles that keep the urine from leaking out until the bladder is full are either underdeveloped or not at all.  At this point I can't suggest anything else other than to see a bovine/large-animal veterinarian about it.

Good luck!

Karin L

Forage-Beef Extension Specialist. Knowledge in almost everything to do with beef and dairy cattle. Strong points include forage production, pasture and rangeland management, grazing management, breeding/calving/weaning, cattle genetics, breeds, feeding and nutrition, starting-up, and most physiological questions. I AM NOT A BOVINE VETERINARIAN; so please any questions that concern serious health of your cattle must be taken to your local large animal veterinarian.

Part of a farm family that bought, raised, and sold stocker/backgrounder steers; assisted with health management, handling, feeding, pasture management, and forage production. Also worked at local mixed-practice veterinary clinic. Experience with cattle included breeding soundness exams on bulls, castration, fixing prolapses, preg-checking, C-sections, calf pulling, vaccinations, etc. Worked at a local farm and ranch supply store selling medications and feed for livestock. Research assistant for the University of Alberta with range health assessments, and helping with various rangeland research projects. Always learning and gaining more experience as time goes on.

Alberta Farm Express Agri-News and Call of the Land (Alberta Agriculture)

BSc in Agriculture (Animal Science Major) @ University of Alberta, June 2015 graduate, but started studies in 2005. An Sci degree allowed me to specialize and gain significant knowledge in beef & dairy cattle production,animal behaviour and reproduction, ruminant nutrition, forage production/management, rangeland and pasture management & ecology, and plant identification.

Various eef and forage producers in Alberta, CAN