Cows/Cattle/halter breaking a steer

Question
Hello,

I spoke with you earlier today about trying to halter break our steer and I went down today and he came up to me and let me scratch him with show stick and hand feed him. I walked in the pen walked right by him and went to the other cow and starting scratching them with show stick. He came over and I let him smell the show stick and he stood there and let me scratch him. He followed me all over the field. I left and went back down a hour later and he ran up to the fence and I feed him grass and pet his head and he was fine. I don't know when I should take hold of his halter and try to walk him around because I don't want him to get scared all over again and not trust me. Tomorrow if I go down it can be a whole different story, he might not even look at me. I am not sure why everyday is different with him and not sure If I should tie him up for a few days or just keep trying with the trust issue. If he see's my son coming that when he gets scared because he was the one who had to run him up in the barn and try to get the halter on him.

Answer
Hello again!

Sorry.. I didn't check my e-mail yesterday evening!

That is really good progress...!  BUT.. the dilemma that we talked about yesterday is the TIME FRAME.  To take it slow and cautious is wonderful, and will get the best results in the long run, but you're 30 days is going to go quickly.  And even if you can catch him, your son is still going to need to spend HOURS walking and setting him up!  

Still pretty much up to you!  I feel your pain.. believe me!  If you had six months instead of weeks, I would start catching the steer yourself, since he doesn't like your son at this point, and work with the steer and gain his trust, and then start bringing your son into the picture.  

Here's my e-mail..you can just send me mail directly!  thebulllady@hotmail.com

Eileen

Cows/Cattle

Eileen DuJardin