Cows/Cattle/cattle health

QUESTION: i have couple of Angus cattle and their coat seems rough not smooth and i feel like they are losing weight, and also how much should i be feeding them cubes, hay a day,and about the dewormers what should i use and how often. i also need them to put some weight on what should i do. thank you so much GOD Bless

ANSWER: Good morning,

Tell me about the "cattle".. are they heifers or steers?  How old are they?  If they are cows, do they have calves?  How old are the calves if they have them?

You live in Texas, and so do I.  Unless you're in an area that hasn't gotten any rain in the past month or so, I can't imagine you don't have enough grass or grazing for them.  What is the condition of your pasture?  Do you have native grasses or improved?

Do you  generally feed them anything besides the grazing?  What about worming?  Have they been wormed in the past year?  Do they act normal, or are they lethargic?  What about their manure?  Is it "firm", or does it seem loose like diarreah?  

If you'll let me know the information above I'll sure try to help you!

QUESTION: they are angus a bull and a heifer just about over a year old, now because of the rain the pasture is better but before we were in drought.yes they goat safeguard pellet dewormer, they act normal, and their manure is not that lose but still lose lil bit. i was wondering if should i feed something beside the pasture. and what should i feed and how much

ANSWER: Ok..if they're still young, the "rough coat" may just be their "calf coats" shedding out.  My calves have rough coats right now too.. they'll have to shed them out.  When they do, you should see a nice slick coat underneath.

How many acres are they on?  I'm not feeding my cows anything right now because we do have a lot of grass.. but if you feel they aren't fat enough, then you can of course supplement them.

You can feed "range cubes".. I used the 20% protein cubes.  I believe the rate is 3 to 5 lbs. per head.  Or you can feed a 12% horse type sweet feed, at about the same rate.  I'd start them out on maybe five lbs, and see if they start gaining weight.  Feed them once a day, and you should see a change in about 20 to 30 days.

Let me know if you have any additional questions.  Good luck!

QUESTION: about deworming how often and what should i use.

The "experts" recommend twice a year.. once in the spring and once in the fall.  I don't think I've ever done it that often.. and I've been breeding registered cattle for over 25 years.

If you do it once a year, probably in the spring, that should be plenty.  You can use Ivermectin, either the injectable or the pour on, or there are any number of similar products that will work as well.  Cydectin is a good choice, and I think Dextomax (sp?) is still on the market in some places.

The injectable is said to work better and get a better "kill", but if you don't have the facilities (chute or head gate to hold your cattle) pour on should work fine

Eileen DuJardin

I can answer most types of cattle questions, primarily beef types. Genetics, breeding, basic care, herd health and management, and showing. I'm knowledgeable in forages and feeding. Non emergency health and soundness questions. I am not a veterinary, and can't answer critical care questions. Call your local large animal vet for that service.

I've been a registered cattle breeder for over 20 years. My husband and I run a 250 acre cattle ranch in Texas. I've raised dairy cattle, commercial cattle, and registered and show cattle. I'm on our county Beef and Forage committee.

American Simmental Association. American Brahman Breeders Association. Falls County Beef and Forage Committee. Texas Farm Bureau

Associates Degree in computer science.

Many ribbons and placings in cattle showing, with most recent being: 2011 Fort Worth Stock Show, Senior Champion Simmental, and Houston Livestock Show Reserve Champion Senior Simmental.