Cows/Cattle/angus bull

Question
QUESTION: i have an angus bull that is lil bit over a year old. i just wanted to know what should i feed him to put on some weight, as far as grain, cubes and how much should i feed him a day and how many times, and also beside coastal hay. what other hay can i give him. thank you so much GOD Bless.

ANSWER: Good evening,

Is your bull on any type of pasture, or in a dry lot?  I would recommend any type of commercially bagged feed.. you can use a specifically labeled cattle feed (pelleted or a grain mix), or you can use a "horse type" mix, that will have a lot of oats and molasses.  Generally speaking these will be 10% to 12% protein, which is good.  You can also use range or cattle cubes, if they are readily available.  I would use whatever is easiest for you to find in your area.

I would feed him twice a day.  Start out with just one scoop, twice a day for three or four days, and then slowly increase it to about 3 scoops total twice a day.  He should put weight on pretty quickly on the three scoops twice a day!  Keep an eye on him and don't let him get too fat.. especially if you're going to put him on cows.  You can always cut him back to just a scoop if he gets to his target weight.

Coastal hay is perfect.. I wouldn't recommend alfalfa to a bull.  Three or four flakes twice a day would be good.

Please let me know if you have any more questions.  Good luck!

Eileen

QUESTION: 3 or 4 flakes of alfalfa or coastal? he is really not on a dry lot. but if he how diff should i feed him? thank you so much

Answer
Coastal... I wouldn't feed a bull alfalfa, that's more protein then he needs.

If he doesn't have grass to graze on you can up the hay a couple of flakes.. mostly to give him something to do.  Any kind of grass based hay is fine.  If you can get him a big round bale then you wouldn't have to go to the trouble of feeding square bales.. and he could eat as much as he'd like.  Just an option!  After the rain we got the last couple of days, there should be a decent supply of round bales available right now.

Eileen

Cows/Cattle

Eileen DuJardin