Cows/Cattle/Deworming Cattle

QUESTION: Could you tell me approximately how much it would cost to deworm 250 cattle (including at least 50 calves) with labour included? I am just looking for a rough estimate because I would like to make a donation to a farmer to deworm his cattle. The farm is in Nicaragua, so it would probably cost less there I'm guessing, but I have no idea? Maybe $200-$300?

ANSWER: Hello Jasmine,

Depending on the cost of the dewormer being used, I think your estimate is what I would figure too, maybe around $1 per head (cows/bulls and calves), which works out to around $300. That's, I believe, approximately the cost for the amount of dewormer needed per head for that many cattle.

I think the Nicaraugan cattle producer would be very happy with that donation. :)

Take care,

QUESTION: Thanks for your quick reply! The dewormer they usually use is Ivermectin if that helps.

ANSWER: Hello again!

That does help, thank you. From what I've been researching, a safe, rough estimate is about $300.   The reason I say that is that most companies tend to sell their products based on a $1 to $2 per head figure, especially when they go on the safe assumption of a cow weighing 1000 lbs. Some figure less.

The thing that makes your question a really tough one is that, in the case of ivermectin, there are several companies who make many products--just for cattle!--with different names and different prices tagged to them to make it just that more difficult for a producer to choose which one to use for their cattle. Not to mention for me to give you some sort of figure you can use to make your decision on your donation, LOL!  Not to mention the question whether the product used is oral, pour-on or injectible?  

So I wish I could answer your question, but I still need more information, if that's no trouble to you. :)

QUESTION: Hey again,

I'm not sure which product they use, but it is injectable ivermectin. I was just looking for a rough estimate so I think around $300 would be good.  

Thanks again,

Hi Jasmine,

I too was considering the $300 a good donation to go for. A lot of the ivermectin injectibles call for 1 ml per 10 lb of body weight, which averages out to be around $1 per head.  

Sorry for giving you the go-round and if I didn't directly answer the question like you hoped, but I certainly hoped I helped you answer your question. :)

Karin L

Forage-Beef Extension Specialist. Knowledge in almost everything to do with beef and dairy cattle. Strong points include forage production, pasture and rangeland management, grazing management, breeding/calving/weaning, cattle genetics, breeds, feeding and nutrition, starting-up, and most physiological questions. I AM NOT A BOVINE VETERINARIAN; so please any questions that concern serious health of your cattle must be taken to your local large animal veterinarian.

Part of a farm family that bought, raised, and sold stocker/backgrounder steers; assisted with health management, handling, feeding, pasture management, and forage production. Also worked at local mixed-practice veterinary clinic. Experience with cattle included breeding soundness exams on bulls, castration, fixing prolapses, preg-checking, C-sections, calf pulling, vaccinations, etc. Worked at a local farm and ranch supply store selling medications and feed for livestock. Research assistant for the University of Alberta with range health assessments, and helping with various rangeland research projects. Always learning and gaining more experience as time goes on.

Alberta Farm Express Agri-News and Call of the Land (Alberta Agriculture)

BSc in Agriculture (Animal Science Major) @ University of Alberta, June 2015 graduate, but started studies in 2005. An Sci degree allowed me to specialize and gain significant knowledge in beef & dairy cattle production,animal behaviour and reproduction, ruminant nutrition, forage production/management, rangeland and pasture management & ecology, and plant identification.

Various eef and forage producers in Alberta, CAN