I'm feed it my beefmaster headers 12% protein with 5% fat. I told I need more mass. What do I do

Good morning,

Who is telling you they need more "mass"?  Are you talking about a judge?  That's what I think of when I hear that phrase!

If it's in a show setting, you have to be careful because making your cattle fatter isn't going to be of benefit!  A cow naturally has a frame that can be filled with "mass" or muscle, but if they don't have that potential, you would have to feed them more to gain fat or mass.  

If you overfeed in order to make your cattle bigger or bulkier, then your next problem is going to be getting the females to breed.  Especially with Brahman influenced cattle, you're likely to add fat in places you don't want it to be, like the tailhead, the udder, and around the brisket.  And if you're showing, you will be docked heavily for this

If you'll give me a little more information about what you're trying to achieve, and for what purpose, I'll see if I can be more helpful. is my direct e-mail.  I've been breeding and showing Simmentals for 30 years.

Eileen DuJardin

I can answer most types of cattle questions, primarily beef types. Genetics, breeding, basic care, herd health and management, and showing. I'm knowledgeable in forages and feeding. Non emergency health and soundness questions. I am not a veterinary, and can't answer critical care questions. Call your local large animal vet for that service.

I've been a registered cattle breeder for over 20 years. My husband and I run a 250 acre cattle ranch in Texas. I've raised dairy cattle, commercial cattle, and registered and show cattle. I'm on our county Beef and Forage committee.

American Simmental Association. American Brahman Breeders Association. Falls County Beef and Forage Committee. Texas Farm Bureau

Associates Degree in computer science.

Many ribbons and placings in cattle showing, with most recent being: 2011 Fort Worth Stock Show, Senior Champion Simmental, and Houston Livestock Show Reserve Champion Senior Simmental.