we have some beefmaster cattle.i was just wondering about dewormers. what is the best dewormer to use on them and how many times a year should we be dewroming. also about vaccinations for new borns calves . what type and how often. thank you so much GOD Bless

All of these questions are questions that you should ask your large-animal veterinarian. What dewormer and vaccinations that is best for your cattle in your area isn't the same for what is needed where I live.

But basically, ivermectin is the primary dewormer you can use, and you might have to use it twice a year, but check with your vet first.

As for vaccinations are concerned, an 8- or 9-way clostridium vaccine, plus vaccines for IBR, PI3, BVD, Lepto and other diseases in your area would be good to go with. How often depends on what vaccine your using and what the label says as far as giving boosters and whether such vaccines should be given annually or not. But, once again, this is something that your large animal vet can tell you and supply you with.

I'm sorry I couldn't be of more help, but I hope this gives you an idea of what to go with for your animals.

Take care,

Karin L

Forage-Beef Extension Specialist. Knowledge in almost everything to do with beef and dairy cattle. Strong points include forage production, pasture and rangeland management, grazing management, breeding/calving/weaning, cattle genetics, breeds, feeding and nutrition, starting-up, and most physiological questions. I AM NOT A BOVINE VETERINARIAN; so please any questions that concern serious health of your cattle must be taken to your local large animal veterinarian.

Part of a farm family that bought, raised, and sold stocker/backgrounder steers; assisted with health management, handling, feeding, pasture management, and forage production. Also worked at local mixed-practice veterinary clinic. Experience with cattle included breeding soundness exams on bulls, castration, fixing prolapses, preg-checking, C-sections, calf pulling, vaccinations, etc. Worked at a local farm and ranch supply store selling medications and feed for livestock. Research assistant for the University of Alberta with range health assessments, and helping with various rangeland research projects. Always learning and gaining more experience as time goes on.

Alberta Farm Express Agri-News and Call of the Land (Alberta Agriculture)

BSc in Agriculture (Animal Science Major) @ University of Alberta, June 2015 graduate, but started studies in 2005. An Sci degree allowed me to specialize and gain significant knowledge in beef & dairy cattle production,animal behaviour and reproduction, ruminant nutrition, forage production/management, rangeland and pasture management & ecology, and plant identification.

Various eef and forage producers in Alberta, CAN