Cows/Cattle/None

Question

I have an area which is 30' by 60'feet and in it, I wish to keep some cows. I know that my area is pretty small so for a good supply of milk, how much cows/buffalos should I keep?

Thanks

Answer
Hi Jem,

That seems like a really small area. Even one cow or carabao/buffalo would be too much for that area without turning it into a dirt lot. You may have to be feeding lots of forage/hay pretty well every day if you want to keep that animal in that small of an area. A cow and a buffalo eat a LOT of feed, and will graze a lot of grass as well, and often, depending on your climate and growing conditions, a 30' x 60' corral isn't nearly the amount of space, even in a really humid, excellent growing climate, for a large animal as a cow or buffalo.

Might I suggest you get goats instead? You can fit a few more goats in that area than cows, plus you can still milk them if you get the right breed suited for milk production.

I'm sorry I couldn't be of more help, but I hope that answered your question. :)

-Karin  

Cows/Cattle

Karin L