I have an area which is 30' by 60'feet and in it, I wish to keep some cows. I know that my area is pretty small so for a good supply of milk, how much cows/buffalos should I keep?

Hi Jem,

That seems like a really small area. Even one cow or carabao/buffalo would be too much for that area without turning it into a dirt lot. You may have to be feeding lots of forage/hay pretty well every day if you want to keep that animal in that small of an area. A cow and a buffalo eat a LOT of feed, and will graze a lot of grass as well, and often, depending on your climate and growing conditions, a 30' x 60' corral isn't nearly the amount of space, even in a really humid, excellent growing climate, for a large animal as a cow or buffalo.

Might I suggest you get goats instead? You can fit a few more goats in that area than cows, plus you can still milk them if you get the right breed suited for milk production.

I'm sorry I couldn't be of more help, but I hope that answered your question. :)

Karin L

Forage-Beef Extension Specialist. Knowledge in almost everything to do with beef and dairy cattle. Strong points include forage production, pasture and rangeland management, grazing management, breeding/calving/weaning, cattle genetics, breeds, feeding and nutrition, starting-up, and most physiological questions. I AM NOT A BOVINE VETERINARIAN; so please any questions that concern serious health of your cattle must be taken to your local large animal veterinarian.

Part of a farm family that bought, raised, and sold stocker/backgrounder steers; assisted with health management, handling, feeding, pasture management, and forage production. Also worked at local mixed-practice veterinary clinic. Experience with cattle included breeding soundness exams on bulls, castration, fixing prolapses, preg-checking, C-sections, calf pulling, vaccinations, etc. Worked at a local farm and ranch supply store selling medications and feed for livestock. Research assistant for the University of Alberta with range health assessments, and helping with various rangeland research projects. Always learning and gaining more experience as time goes on.

Alberta Farm Express Agri-News and Call of the Land (Alberta Agriculture)

BSc in Agriculture (Animal Science Major) @ University of Alberta, June 2015 graduate, but started studies in 2005. An Sci degree allowed me to specialize and gain significant knowledge in beef & dairy cattle production,animal behaviour and reproduction, ruminant nutrition, forage production/management, rangeland and pasture management & ecology, and plant identification.

Various eef and forage producers in Alberta, CAN