Cows/Cattle/beefmaster

Question
i had some questions about beefmaster cattle or just cattle in general. we have cows calving now. so i need to know is there any meds or vacc  i need to give to the cow or the calf, and when should i vacc the calf and what should i vacc the calf with. also if i'm keeping the calves as replacement heifers should i wean them off and if so when should i do it and do i need to give them special feed. thank you so much. GOD Bless

Answer
Glad to hear your cows are calving.  That's the best time of year in my opinion.

The calves don't need to be vaccinated until they are weaned, when the heifers you want to keep would get their brucellosis vaccination and a 5 or 7 way for clostridium, Lepto, BVD etc.  The cows should be vaccinated once a year.

Yes you'll need to wean the calves. When you wean them depends on a couple of things.  If the cows are in good condition you can wean at 6 months or so. If the cows begin to lose weight you can wean a little earlier. I generally start my calves on feed when they're a month or two old. They grow better, and since I show cattle, it gives me the opportunity to gentle the calves and get them used to being around people.  Also gives me a chance to get a halter on them while they are still small enough to handle.

Good luck with your cows and calves!

Eileen

Cows/Cattle

Eileen DuJardin