Cows/Cattle/calves

Question
we are trying to dehorn calves, so i was wondering what type of local anesthetic should we get.

Answer
It would be best to talk to your veterinarian about that. However, I have to say anaesthetic is not necessary if calves are only days old because the horn buds haven't attached themselves to the skull and formed significant nerve tissues that would cause severe pain for them as it would with dehorning an older calf or adult cow. Using caustic paste on newborn calves shouldn't necessitate the need for anaesthetics.  But, all the same, talk to your veterinarian just in case, because [s]he's more qualified and knowledgeable in animal health than I am. :)

Take care!

-Karin  

Cows/Cattle

Karin L