we are trying to dehorn calves, so i was wondering what type of local anesthetic should we get.

It would be best to talk to your veterinarian about that. However, I have to say anaesthetic is not necessary if calves are only days old because the horn buds haven't attached themselves to the skull and formed significant nerve tissues that would cause severe pain for them as it would with dehorning an older calf or adult cow. Using caustic paste on newborn calves shouldn't necessitate the need for anaesthetics.  But, all the same, talk to your veterinarian just in case, because [s]he's more qualified and knowledgeable in animal health than I am. :)

Take care!

Karin L

Forage-Beef Extension Specialist. Knowledge in almost everything to do with beef and dairy cattle. Strong points include forage production, pasture and rangeland management, grazing management, breeding/calving/weaning, cattle genetics, breeds, feeding and nutrition, starting-up, and most physiological questions. I AM NOT A BOVINE VETERINARIAN; so please any questions that concern serious health of your cattle must be taken to your local large animal veterinarian.

Part of a farm family that bought, raised, and sold stocker/backgrounder steers; assisted with health management, handling, feeding, pasture management, and forage production. Also worked at local mixed-practice veterinary clinic. Experience with cattle included breeding soundness exams on bulls, castration, fixing prolapses, preg-checking, C-sections, calf pulling, vaccinations, etc. Worked at a local farm and ranch supply store selling medications and feed for livestock. Research assistant for the University of Alberta with range health assessments, and helping with various rangeland research projects. Always learning and gaining more experience as time goes on.

Alberta Farm Express Agri-News and Call of the Land (Alberta Agriculture)

BSc in Agriculture (Animal Science Major) @ University of Alberta, June 2015 graduate, but started studies in 2005. An Sci degree allowed me to specialize and gain significant knowledge in beef & dairy cattle production,animal behaviour and reproduction, ruminant nutrition, forage production/management, rangeland and pasture management & ecology, and plant identification.

Various eef and forage producers in Alberta, CAN