Cows/Cattle/calves

Question
we are trying to dehorn calves, so i was wondering what type of local anesthetic should i get

Answer
That's a nasty job!  Some veterinarians use Ladicain (sp) and others don't use anything at all.  

Are you doing surgical dehorning?  Like for show cattle?  Or just burning them off?  How old are the calves, and how big are the horns?  You won't be able to get anesthesia without a vet's prescription, and I doubt they would give you one.  You may want to just call a local vet and have him / her come out and do it for you.  I promise, it's a nasty job!  I've been in the business for 30 years, and I couldn't do it!  Of course years ago I made sure all my cattle were polled so I didn't have to have it done!

Good luck!

Eileen  

Cows/Cattle

Eileen DuJardin