Cows/Cattle/Age of heifers

My husband and I purchased a couple of heifers the end of May. They weighed about 500 pounds each. They are angus and angus cross. About how old would they be?

That's a tough question!  My calves are generally weaned at between 5 and 6 months old, and they weight anywhere from 500 to 600 lbs.  Angus are smaller framed then the cattle I raise, but I wouldn't think they should be older than 7 or 8 months.

Can you asked the seller?  It would be good to know for sure so you will know when to expose them to a bull.  You don't want them getting bred too young or you risk having calving problems.

Good luck.

Eileen DuJardin

I can answer most types of cattle questions, primarily beef types. Genetics, breeding, basic care, herd health and management, and showing. I'm knowledgeable in forages and feeding. Non emergency health and soundness questions. I am not a veterinary, and can't answer critical care questions. Call your local large animal vet for that service.

I've been a registered cattle breeder for over 20 years. My husband and I run a 250 acre cattle ranch in Texas. I've raised dairy cattle, commercial cattle, and registered and show cattle. I'm on our county Beef and Forage committee.

American Simmental Association. American Brahman Breeders Association. Falls County Beef and Forage Committee. Texas Farm Bureau

Associates Degree in computer science.

Many ribbons and placings in cattle showing, with most recent being: 2011 Fort Worth Stock Show, Senior Champion Simmental, and Houston Livestock Show Reserve Champion Senior Simmental.