Cows/Cattle/Beefmaster bulls

QUESTION: we have some beefmaster bulls about 10 months old, we are trying to make them gain some weight especially coming out of winter what should we feed and how much per day. they are going to be as breeding bulls and if you have any other helpful tips for us that would be great. thank you so much and God Bless.

ANSWER: Good morning,

Yes, if you want to sell the bulls as breeding stock, you will need to feed them so they are in good condition for a buyer.  Generally speaking Beefmasters and any breed with Brahman influence put weight on rapidly on feed, so you need to be careful and watch how quickly they gain.   You don't want them too fat or that affects their breeding capabilities.  

I would start them out on a 10 - 12% ration, maybe 3% fat.  If you're near any type of feed mill or coop, they may have a feed formulated that is expressly for bulls.  (Here in Texas, Producer's Coop in Bryan has their own mix that is very good).  If you can find that, use it!  You don't want to put weight on them as if they were being fed out to be processed!  Start with just a few pounds per head per day, and give them plenty of coastal or grass type hay.  If they can graze at leisure that's good too.  They should be able to put on 3+ lbs a day.  

With Brahman influenced bulls, you generally can't sell them for breeding until they hit breeding age and you can have them tested, which is going to be between 16 and 18 months old.

Good luck!

QUESTION: sorry to bother you again, i know you've mentioned coastal or grass type hay, we bailed our own hay which is hybrid sudan hay, would that be ok it has to be coastal or grass type hay. thank you so much. we are beginners thats why i'm asking so many questions. sorry about that

No need to apologize!  I'm happy to help if I can.. especially new people!

Yes, sudan or hay grazer is great!  In fact, my cows would rather eat that then any other kind!  I should have stated "anything other than alfalfa".  Many breeders make the mistake of feeding alfalfa to cattle, and it's too high in protein and not enough "roughage" for a cow.

Here's my e-mail address:  Please feel free to e-mail me if you have more questions!

Were you able to find a feed dealer?

Eileen DuJardin

I can answer most types of cattle questions, primarily beef types. Genetics, breeding, basic care, herd health and management, and showing. I'm knowledgeable in forages and feeding. Non emergency health and soundness questions. I am not a veterinary, and can't answer critical care questions. Call your local large animal vet for that service.

I've been a registered cattle breeder for over 20 years. My husband and I run a 250 acre cattle ranch in Texas. I've raised dairy cattle, commercial cattle, and registered and show cattle. I'm on our county Beef and Forage committee.

American Simmental Association. American Brahman Breeders Association. Falls County Beef and Forage Committee. Texas Farm Bureau

Associates Degree in computer science.

Many ribbons and placings in cattle showing, with most recent being: 2011 Fort Worth Stock Show, Senior Champion Simmental, and Houston Livestock Show Reserve Champion Senior Simmental.