Cows/Cattle/Beefmaster bulls

we have some beefmaster bulls about 10 months old, we are trying to make them gain some weight especially coming out of winter what should we feed and how much per day. they are going to be as breeding bulls and if you have any other helpful tips for us that would be great. thank you so much and God Bless.

It depends what feeds you have available in your area and what won't cost you much.

Living in Alberta I couldn't tell you what feeds are available in your area in Texas, but I can tell you that choose a feed that is high in carbohydrates and has a bit of protein in it too for muscle. Cottonseed meal is one that is may be good to look into, and you could start feeding them that at around 1% of their body weight per day or less along with free choice fodder that's good quality as well, preferably stuff that has legume in it. Start on the feed only a few pounds a day, then work your way up to that amount I recommended over a couple of weeks.

If corn or oats are a better option financial-wise, make sure they're cracked or rolled, not whole. Cattle can't digest whole grains as readily as those that have been processed a little. Feed at the same amount--1% of their body weight per day--for weight gain.

Watch for bloat when you're first starting them on feed. This shouldn't be much of a worry, though, if you're feeding them when they're not exactly hungry and have plenty of hay to eat with the supplement.

Hope that helps, and God bless to you as well. :)

Karin L

Forage-Beef Extension Specialist. Knowledge in almost everything to do with beef and dairy cattle. Strong points include forage production, pasture and rangeland management, grazing management, breeding/calving/weaning, cattle genetics, breeds, feeding and nutrition, starting-up, and most physiological questions. I AM NOT A BOVINE VETERINARIAN; so please any questions that concern serious health of your cattle must be taken to your local large animal veterinarian.

Part of a farm family that bought, raised, and sold stocker/backgrounder steers; assisted with health management, handling, feeding, pasture management, and forage production. Also worked at local mixed-practice veterinary clinic. Experience with cattle included breeding soundness exams on bulls, castration, fixing prolapses, preg-checking, C-sections, calf pulling, vaccinations, etc. Worked at a local farm and ranch supply store selling medications and feed for livestock. Research assistant for the University of Alberta with range health assessments, and helping with various rangeland research projects. Always learning and gaining more experience as time goes on.

Alberta Farm Express Agri-News and Call of the Land (Alberta Agriculture)

BSc in Agriculture (Animal Science Major) @ University of Alberta, June 2015 graduate, but started studies in 2005. An Sci degree allowed me to specialize and gain significant knowledge in beef & dairy cattle production,animal behaviour and reproduction, ruminant nutrition, forage production/management, rangeland and pasture management & ecology, and plant identification.

Various eef and forage producers in Alberta, CAN