Cows/Cattle/Animal Ailments

Hi,  Do any animals -to your knowledge- suffer  from Haemorrhoids and if so is there a specific remedy for this complaint?
Further to this, in medieval times the only method used on humans was to cauterise the effected area. Would this method be used on animals too?
Thank you
Colin Curtis.

Hi Colin,

Apparently hemorrhoids (also known as "piles") in animals is quite rare, though it does occur in most domestic animals specifically dogs, horses, cattle and cats.

Most vets recommend a topical ointment to be put on the affected area, but certainly not cauterizing. The anal area is very sensitive and any burning would just exacerbate the issue and/or make the animal suffer more than it needs to. Of course back in the Medieval times people didn't even consider that animals felt pain like humans could.

I hope that answers your question!

Karin L

Forage-Beef Extension Specialist. Knowledge in almost everything to do with beef and dairy cattle. Strong points include forage production, pasture and rangeland management, grazing management, breeding/calving/weaning, cattle genetics, breeds, feeding and nutrition, starting-up, and most physiological questions. I AM NOT A BOVINE VETERINARIAN; so please any questions that concern serious health of your cattle must be taken to your local large animal veterinarian.

Part of a farm family that bought, raised, and sold stocker/backgrounder steers; assisted with health management, handling, feeding, pasture management, and forage production. Also worked at local mixed-practice veterinary clinic. Experience with cattle included breeding soundness exams on bulls, castration, fixing prolapses, preg-checking, C-sections, calf pulling, vaccinations, etc. Worked at a local farm and ranch supply store selling medications and feed for livestock. Research assistant for the University of Alberta with range health assessments, and helping with various rangeland research projects. Always learning and gaining more experience as time goes on.

Alberta Farm Express Agri-News and Call of the Land (Alberta Agriculture)

BSc in Agriculture (Animal Science Major) @ University of Alberta, June 2015 graduate, but started studies in 2005. An Sci degree allowed me to specialize and gain significant knowledge in beef & dairy cattle production,animal behaviour and reproduction, ruminant nutrition, forage production/management, rangeland and pasture management & ecology, and plant identification.

Various eef and forage producers in Alberta, CAN