Cows/Cattle/Mineral Supplement

i was wondering whats a good Mineral Supplement loose or so on that we need for our cattle since the pasture is not that great.thank you so much

It sounds like you'll be needing more than a mineral supplement for your cattle with a poor-quality pasture. You'll need to consider protein and energy supplements for your cattle depending on what kind of cattle you're feeding and what their requirements are for growth, lactation, and reproduction. If you're finding pasture isn't enough for your cows with calves at side, you'll need to creep-feed them with some cracked corn or rolled oats, and/or feed cows around 1% of their body weight in grain per day to keep up with their demands. But, if they're dry and pregnant they should be okay. It's just the growing calves and lactating cows that are cause for concern.

And if you need to start feeding hay if pasture is getting that short, then you'll have to to save your pasture until it improves.

As far as mineral supplements are concerned, I'm not sure for your location what's best, so you're best bet is to check with one or more of your local feed supply stores to see what they have and what they recommend for your cattle. Loose is always recommended, though block form is also good if more salt is needed than the smaller percentage of minerals added.

This isn't much by any means, but I hope it helps you a little.

Take care,

Karin L

Forage-Beef Extension Specialist. Knowledge in almost everything to do with beef and dairy cattle. Strong points include forage production, pasture and rangeland management, grazing management, breeding/calving/weaning, cattle genetics, breeds, feeding and nutrition, starting-up, and most physiological questions. I AM NOT A BOVINE VETERINARIAN; so please any questions that concern serious health of your cattle must be taken to your local large animal veterinarian.

Part of a farm family that bought, raised, and sold stocker/backgrounder steers; assisted with health management, handling, feeding, pasture management, and forage production. Also worked at local mixed-practice veterinary clinic. Experience with cattle included breeding soundness exams on bulls, castration, fixing prolapses, preg-checking, C-sections, calf pulling, vaccinations, etc. Worked at a local farm and ranch supply store selling medications and feed for livestock. Research assistant for the University of Alberta with range health assessments, and helping with various rangeland research projects. Always learning and gaining more experience as time goes on.

Alberta Farm Express Agri-News and Call of the Land (Alberta Agriculture)

BSc in Agriculture (Animal Science Major) @ University of Alberta, June 2015 graduate, but started studies in 2005. An Sci degree allowed me to specialize and gain significant knowledge in beef & dairy cattle production,animal behaviour and reproduction, ruminant nutrition, forage production/management, rangeland and pasture management & ecology, and plant identification.

Various eef and forage producers in Alberta, CAN