Cows/Cattle/weaning calves

first we have beefmasters, and we are new to the cattle. at what age to wean off heifer calves? and what should we do when we wean them off as for feed and the like wise for the calves? thank you so much and
God Bless

Good morning,

There isn't really any certain time to wean calves, there are a lot of different options.

Generally calves are weaned at about 6 months of age.  Are you keeping the calves or selling them?  You want to get the calves off the cows in plenty of time for the cow to get back into good condition to have her next calf.  If they bred back right away, that means she'll calve again at 9 months.  I've sometimes weaned calves earlier, like 5 months, especially if the cow is a first calf heifer and she's lost much weight nursing a calf.  As long as the calf will eat "regular" feed, it won't impact their growth or development.  I also know people that leave the calves on for 7 months or longer, but this won't give the cow much chance to be dry before her next calf.

If you're going to pen the calves to wean them, make sure they have plenty of good hay and fresh water.  You can start them on a calf pellet or a sweet feed in a bunk, but start them slow.  Give them maybe a couple of pounds a day, and gradually increase the feed, depending on what you want to do with the calves.  Maybe up to four or five pounds a day.

Let me know if you have any other questions!

Eileen DuJardin

I can answer most types of cattle questions, primarily beef types. Genetics, breeding, basic care, herd health and management, and showing. I'm knowledgeable in forages and feeding. Non emergency health and soundness questions. I am not a veterinary, and can't answer critical care questions. Call your local large animal vet for that service.

I've been a registered cattle breeder for over 20 years. My husband and I run a 250 acre cattle ranch in Texas. I've raised dairy cattle, commercial cattle, and registered and show cattle. I'm on our county Beef and Forage committee.

American Simmental Association. American Brahman Breeders Association. Falls County Beef and Forage Committee. Texas Farm Bureau

Associates Degree in computer science.

Many ribbons and placings in cattle showing, with most recent being: 2011 Fort Worth Stock Show, Senior Champion Simmental, and Houston Livestock Show Reserve Champion Senior Simmental.