Cows/Cattle/white spot on cows eye

I have  11 year old herford cow she has a white spot on her eye. what do I need to know what  to do about it what it is and will it spread thru my herd.

Thank You,

I suspect since she is a Hereford with a white face, it's probably what's called "Pink Eye".  Primarily caused by an irritant like a seed head or weed.  She'll need treatment or she could eventually lose her eye.  Do you have a vet that can help?  The treatment will likely be LA200.

It won't spread throughout your herd from the cow that has it, but the other cows could also end up with it. It's more likely on a cow with a white face and eye area.

Hope this helps.

Eileen DuJardin

I can answer most types of cattle questions, primarily beef types. Genetics, breeding, basic care, herd health and management, and showing. I'm knowledgeable in forages and feeding. Non emergency health and soundness questions. I am not a veterinary, and can't answer critical care questions. Call your local large animal vet for that service.

I've been a registered cattle breeder for over 20 years. My husband and I run a 250 acre cattle ranch in Texas. I've raised dairy cattle, commercial cattle, and registered and show cattle. I'm on our county Beef and Forage committee.

American Simmental Association. American Brahman Breeders Association. Falls County Beef and Forage Committee. Texas Farm Bureau

Associates Degree in computer science.

Many ribbons and placings in cattle showing, with most recent being: 2011 Fort Worth Stock Show, Senior Champion Simmental, and Houston Livestock Show Reserve Champion Senior Simmental.