Cows/Cattle/flaxseed for cattle

hello Eileen. I'm Caine from INDIA. i have plans to start a dairy farm at my place with 6 Holstein Frisian cows and 4 Jersey breed. well, i would like to know whether i can add ground flaxseed in my cattle feed or not for healthy skin. if yes, may i know the right ratio for each cow?

Hello Caine!

We have and use flaxseed here in the US, but I don't know of it being used for dairy cattle.  The primary use I've seen it used for is in horse feed.  I would do the research before I fed it to dairy cattle, because it may impact the milk quality or fertility!

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful.  Good luck with your dairy!

Eileen DuJardin

I can answer most types of cattle questions, primarily beef types. Genetics, breeding, basic care, herd health and management, and showing. I'm knowledgeable in forages and feeding. Non emergency health and soundness questions. I am not a veterinary, and can't answer critical care questions. Call your local large animal vet for that service.

I've been a registered cattle breeder for over 20 years. My husband and I run a 250 acre cattle ranch in Texas. I've raised dairy cattle, commercial cattle, and registered and show cattle. I'm on our county Beef and Forage committee.

American Simmental Association. American Brahman Breeders Association. Falls County Beef and Forage Committee. Texas Farm Bureau

Associates Degree in computer science.

Many ribbons and placings in cattle showing, with most recent being: 2011 Fort Worth Stock Show, Senior Champion Simmental, and Houston Livestock Show Reserve Champion Senior Simmental.