Cows/Cattle/HF cow diet

hello Karin. i am Caine from INDIA. i have a plan to start a dairy farm at my place. i would like to know what all supplements and feed does each HF cow need in its diet?

Hi Caine,

Because I have no clue or experience in what you have available in India to feed dairy cattle, I can only leave you with some links that hopefully will help you out more than I am able to. I am much more familiar with USA and Canadian dairy cattle feeds and forages than that grown and produced India, unfortunately, so my apologies for this.

The links are these:
(or try this if that doesn't work:,d.cGU )

I will also leave you some links on basic dairy nutrition. The feed and forages are not what are grown in your area, but you can use the information that are in these links and apply them to how you can feed and meet the nutritional requirements of your cows on your farm.

Again I apologize for not being of any more help, but I hope the links I provided have made up for that.

All the best, and good luck in a successful start up of your dairy operation!

Kind regards,

Karin L

Forage-Beef Extension Specialist. Knowledge in almost everything to do with beef and dairy cattle. Strong points include forage production, pasture and rangeland management, grazing management, breeding/calving/weaning, cattle genetics, breeds, feeding and nutrition, starting-up, and most physiological questions. I AM NOT A BOVINE VETERINARIAN; so please any questions that concern serious health of your cattle must be taken to your local large animal veterinarian.

Part of a farm family that bought, raised, and sold stocker/backgrounder steers; assisted with health management, handling, feeding, pasture management, and forage production. Also worked at local mixed-practice veterinary clinic. Experience with cattle included breeding soundness exams on bulls, castration, fixing prolapses, preg-checking, C-sections, calf pulling, vaccinations, etc. Worked at a local farm and ranch supply store selling medications and feed for livestock. Research assistant for the University of Alberta with range health assessments, and helping with various rangeland research projects. Always learning and gaining more experience as time goes on.

Alberta Farm Express Agri-News and Call of the Land (Alberta Agriculture)

BSc in Agriculture (Animal Science Major) @ University of Alberta, June 2015 graduate, but started studies in 2005. An Sci degree allowed me to specialize and gain significant knowledge in beef & dairy cattle production,animal behaviour and reproduction, ruminant nutrition, forage production/management, rangeland and pasture management & ecology, and plant identification.

Various eef and forage producers in Alberta, CAN