i had couple of questions about dewormers. whats better pour on or orally, how many times year to deworm and what should we use for deworming, there are hundreds of dewormers out there. thank you so much

You might be better to talk to your vet about  what type of wormers are best to use, as the products available here in Alberta, Canada, are a bit different (and for different parasites, generally) than what you would need down in Texas. Ivermectin is one that is available, but again I'm not sure if it's suitable for the types of parasites you want to aim for.

Speaking of types, there may be specific parasites that are of concern for your animals or that you are already having problems with. Pour-on is less invasive (and albeit less traumatic) for cattle than oral, and is the most commonly used. Most, if I'm right, pour-on products are suitable for both internal and external parasites.

But, please check with your local vet, as they'll be a better source of information than I!

I'll shoot you a couple of links though for general info:

Sorry I couldn't be of more help, but hopefully that puts you in the right direction to where you want to go.

All the best,

Karin L

Forage-Beef Extension Specialist. Knowledge in almost everything to do with beef and dairy cattle. Strong points include forage production, pasture and rangeland management, grazing management, breeding/calving/weaning, cattle genetics, breeds, feeding and nutrition, starting-up, and most physiological questions. I AM NOT A BOVINE VETERINARIAN; so please any questions that concern serious health of your cattle must be taken to your local large animal veterinarian.

Part of a farm family that bought, raised, and sold stocker/backgrounder steers; assisted with health management, handling, feeding, pasture management, and forage production. Also worked at local mixed-practice veterinary clinic. Experience with cattle included breeding soundness exams on bulls, castration, fixing prolapses, preg-checking, C-sections, calf pulling, vaccinations, etc. Worked at a local farm and ranch supply store selling medications and feed for livestock. Research assistant for the University of Alberta with range health assessments, and helping with various rangeland research projects. Always learning and gaining more experience as time goes on.

Alberta Farm Express Agri-News and Call of the Land (Alberta Agriculture)

BSc in Agriculture (Animal Science Major) @ University of Alberta, June 2015 graduate, but started studies in 2005. An Sci degree allowed me to specialize and gain significant knowledge in beef & dairy cattle production,animal behaviour and reproduction, ruminant nutrition, forage production/management, rangeland and pasture management & ecology, and plant identification.

Various eef and forage producers in Alberta, CAN