Cows/Cattle/Dewormers

Question
i had couple of questions about dewormers. whats better pour on or orally, how many times year to deworm and what should we use for deworming, there are hundreds of dewormers out there. thank you so much

Answer
Hello,

You might be better to talk to your vet about  what type of wormers are best to use, as the products available here in Alberta, Canada, are a bit different (and for different parasites, generally) than what you would need down in Texas. Ivermectin is one that is available, but again I'm not sure if it's suitable for the types of parasites you want to aim for.

Speaking of types, there may be specific parasites that are of concern for your animals or that you are already having problems with. Pour-on is less invasive (and albeit less traumatic) for cattle than oral, and is the most commonly used. Most, if I'm right, pour-on products are suitable for both internal and external parasites.

But, please check with your local vet, as they'll be a better source of information than I!

I'll shoot you a couple of links though for general info:

http://www.dextercattle.org/edu/vets_corner/topical_vs_oral_wormers.pdf
http://animart.com/news-events/articles/cattle-wormer-and-cattle-dewormer
http://www.pbsanimalhealth.com/dewormerchart1.html

Sorry I couldn't be of more help, but hopefully that puts you in the right direction to where you want to go.

All the best,

-Karin

Cows/Cattle

Karin L