i had couple of questions about dewormers. whats better pour on or orally, how many times year to deworm and what should we use for deworming, there are hundreds of dewormers out there. thank you so much

Good evening!

That's a good question, and frankly you can get dozens of different answers!  It's really more a question of preference, as most all products work.

Many cattlemen like to use the "tried and true" injectable Ivermectin, which has been used for years.  If you work your cattle a couple times of year, you have the opportunity to give the Ivermectin at the same time you have them in the chute for vaccinations, etc.  

The oral variety come in pastes and also the "blocks", like Safeguard.  I think these are pretty effective also, but a little more dependant on time of year, and also expensive. The last time I read the label, it was one block per 6 head, and I'm thinking they cost about $30 a piece.  Okay for a few head, not cost effective for 100.

The pour ons are another option, and have the added benefit of being fly repellant as well, so more for your dollar, especially this year when the flies are prolific already! You'll need a chute or some way to catch the cattle to keep them still enough to get the product down the middle of their backs.

I think the best information I can give you is to use something at least once a year, better if you do it twice a year, and spring and fall are the best times to do it.  Your cattle won't die if you miss a season and I know ranchers that have never wormed their cattle, and haven't seen any ill effects.

I hope this has been helpful!  Best of luck to you.

Eileen DuJardin

I can answer most types of cattle questions, primarily beef types. Genetics, breeding, basic care, herd health and management, and showing. I'm knowledgeable in forages and feeding. Non emergency health and soundness questions. I am not a veterinary, and can't answer critical care questions. Call your local large animal vet for that service.

I've been a registered cattle breeder for over 20 years. My husband and I run a 250 acre cattle ranch in Texas. I've raised dairy cattle, commercial cattle, and registered and show cattle. I'm on our county Beef and Forage committee.

American Simmental Association. American Brahman Breeders Association. Falls County Beef and Forage Committee. Texas Farm Bureau

Associates Degree in computer science.

Many ribbons and placings in cattle showing, with most recent being: 2011 Fort Worth Stock Show, Senior Champion Simmental, and Houston Livestock Show Reserve Champion Senior Simmental.