Creative Writing/I have created greeting cards but with a twist they're called relationship cards

tutorjb1 - Jefferson Bales wrote at 2012-07-04 04:26:36
Hi Sharon. Some things I couldn't think of when I first answered your question. Greeting cards are like cartooning and involve  writing, humor and art Humor comes from real life so it's a good idea to read a great deal and widely to stay on top of things to find humor in. There may be separate guidelines for submitting your words and your art that goes into your cards. Read the requirements carefully. Check out for sample cartoon-submission guidelines. You can learn more by putting <cartoon submissions> and <submitting to King Features syndicate? in my Bookdoctorsandeditors Yahoo! group and Google <King Features Syndicate> Be sure to let me know how it goes.

Jefferson Bales - tutorjb1

tutorjb1 - Jefferson Bales wrote at 2012-07-18 20:08:03
Hi Sharon. If you wre thinking of eCards, most are free.I don't know if the writers/ilustrators are paid. The best animated, funny cards at,are not free and would be the best to publish your Relationship cards(if you can add a funny twist to them). Check out Rubber Chicken eCards and their submission requirements. I'm not sure they'd want Relationship cards, but if they do, it'd be a great place to publish yours if you can animate them or find a partner who can. Let me know how it's going.

tutorjb1 - Jefferson Bales wrote at 2012-09-11 14:52:54
Dear Sharon: I hope you've begun to follow the advice I offered you.

I think NOW is a great time for your "Relationship Cards" and there's no point in delaying your certain success as a Greeting-card writer/publisher and expect you to share what you learn as an expert here, yourself. I will not forget your promise to let me know your progress. I'd like you to join my group at Put cartoons in the Message Search Box for ideas and cartoon syndicate in the Box for sample submission guidelines.

Best Wishes,

tutorjb1 wrote at 2013-07-31 07:51:04

Hello Sharon. I guess you've noticed that I've been gone. I intend to stay gone, but just stopped by to ask if you've submitted your relationship cards anyplace and ask you what response you got. I was trying to think of King Features Syndicate for submission guidelines you might follow. Their site and guidelines are in the Messages in my group at that you're welcome to join. There is a great deal of information in the Messages there to help writers and other creative people like yourself. All you need is a Yahoo! ID - that you get by setting up a free Yahoo! email address -  to join my group by pushing the Blue "Join this group" button on the home page. You may join, leave and rejoin the group whenever it pleases you. I do my best to keep the Messages stocked with sites and Info. to help writers and cartoonists. There's a site for cartoonists at that I'm not sure I've put in the Messages yet, I bet if you asked at about where and how to submit your cards that the brilliant girl who operates write101 could help you, She's one of the smartest and most knowledgeable people I've ever met and also owns the Writing Tips Yahoo! group you may join when you join my group to find even more help. I'd appreciate it if you'd post a message to say "Hello" to my group when you join and let me know in future posts there how you are doing with your cards since I won't be here much. I've just got too much to do to spend a lot of time at Allexperts and they and About messed up my address bar on my home page by putting About:home and About:blank where the http:// should be and it's a real pain, but I hope you're doing Great, Sharon!

hello Shaton

tutorjb1 wrote at 2013-10-07 04:16:24
Hi Sharon. Yahoo! has messed up the groups, my Bookdoctors group as well, it appears to try to make things look cool to kids, but I remembered something very important for you. Just Google <King Features Syndicate> then look for cartoon submission guidelines there. That is likely how you will want to submit your "relationship cards" to publishers, at least the visual (drawing) part. If you don't find a buyer among card publishers, you'll be well on your way to adapting your ideas for cartoons, From what you told me, I think they can easily be turned into one or two-panel cartoons. After all, they're basically funny With a Point. That's what Gary Larson's Far Side(tm) one-panel cartoons were, or Are - depending on your point of view. One of the hardest things about publishing anything is learning the proper submission format. King Features cartoon format is pretty much accepted everywhere (with very slight variations). Good Luck. You've got a Great Idea! Don't lose it and please let me know how you;re doing. I'm not here regularly, but I'll be around and look for you, so let me know how you do with the King Features cartoon format and what publishers tell you about your cards. All the best -JB :-)Also Google <calling card submission guidelines> and look at for them.

Creative Writing

tutorjb1 - Jefferson Bales

Hello Friends: My qualifications and experience are enumerated in detail in my Writing Books Category. I would have preferred to begin in this Creative Writing Category so that questioners would not be too intimidated to ask me for help writing short stories, journaling or any type of fiction or creative writing in addition to novels. I love to help writers develop their stories. I can answer any general or specific question relating to contemporary fiction technique and direct writers to helpful and authoritative Web sites as well as recommend books from my large collection. I am a working writer with a B.A. in English from UNC,Chapel Hill,N.C. where I later attended Advertising Journalism Grad school. I also participated in the Georgetown University Writers Conference and studied design in the Architecture program at UNC,Charlotte,N.C. I helped found and contributed non-fiction about writing technique and flash fiction to its first edition. After participating in only the final 3 years of's free Q&A service, I rose to #1 in the Fiction category, 5 Music categories and Disabilities despite having to deal with others' cheating. I will do my best to answer any question I'm asked and also tell you how I arrived at my answers to enable you to help yourself in the future. I prefer general, story-development questions(particularly dealing with humorous fiction), but am able to handle most technical questions in any genre and put people together who happen to be dealing with similar problems. Please do not hesitate to ask me any question you may have. I will admit if your question is so far beyond my expertise that my answer is an educated guess. I prefer not to deal with Poetry though I can handle some. I'll reluctantly deal with Romance fiction. I find it formulaic and boring so haven't read much even though I do know working Romance authors and publishers, so if it interests you I'll do my best to assist you. Sincerely, tutorjb1

Completed the four year English program at UNC, Chapel Hill, NC in only three years. I also did library research and graduate collation work using the first American and first two English editions leading to publication of the first approved edition of Fenimore Cooper's _The Pathfinder_. I made very good grades in every writing course I took at Carolina, Creative Writing I and II and Grad. courses in Writing for T.V. while still an undergrad. Following graduation, I read every issue of Writers Digest from cover to cover for 15 years, joined WD's book clubs and am a fan of and correspond with Larry Block, the great author and writing teacher who wrote WD's Fiction column those 15 years while WD was a monthly. I still read WD when I notice something of particular interest to me and do the same with The Writer magazine. I helped Chris(its Publisher and Editor in Chief) found and contributed non-fiction and flash fiction to its first edition. Worked as a writer and consultant in every department of an NBC affiliate. Just completed a humorous short story(in the style of O.Henry) about the mysterious Bull Hole in central N.C. that will be published as a short story to publicize the novel that I am adapting it to become the first chapter of. I founded The Oblong Table of writers that includes DustiiArt and Lillie Ammann( and is still open to new writers seeking to publish. Read "Writer Beware" at and only deal with recommended publishers, editors and agents at Preditors and Editors. It was at, but moves so Google it. I assisted a novelist in getting out of Publish America's unfair contract. Never deal with PA and avoid "sponsored" links/ sites no matter where you encounter them, even those on this Web site. My nearly constant research in the undergrad. and Grad.libraries at UNC made it easy for me to quickly become an expert at Web searches and I love doing them. Your friend, JB :)

Founder of The Oblong Table of writers to which DustiiArt and Lillie Ammann( belong. Member of UNC-Chapel Hill's Alumni Association and The Association of Space Alien Abductees. I founded and own the open Yahoo! groups at tutorjb and bookdoctorsandeditors. I've been putting every valuable resource I've found for writers in the Messages at so they won't be lost the next time my computer dies for whatever reason. The Messages in Yahoo! groups are also alphabetized and searchable, which I find much easier than peering down a list of Favorites that reaches to the center of the Earth. A very good and the easiest-to-remember English Etymology(word-origin) site is at

Publications, NBC television, I wrote and would have published the guide to learning to play bass guitar in less than a day I wrote if the editor had known what a fret or the neck was or known enough to ask me, instead of just telling me that I was wrong without even doing as I suggested and simply looking at a bass in a music store. Editors aren't always right, no matter what you may have heard. No matter how hard one tries, they can't all be accommodated, though most can. I can always rewrite it and publish it in Playboy's Christmas issue.

B.A. English from UNC, Chapel Hill, N.C. Never took a 'crip" course at UNC. Instead took Grad. courses open to undergrads by permission of the instructor. Successfully completed UNC's four-year English program in three years after taking All music classes my first semester and All business classes my second semester. Did well enough to attend UNC's graduate Advertising Journalism school and study design in the Architecture school at UNC-Charlotte. Later participated in Georgetown University's Writers Conference. I treated my time at as a three-year open-book test, helping as many people as possible, even handling personal problems

Award for irritating my alien abductors so much that they returned me in disgust with only my saxophone. I'm glad to be back. It was a surprise to be abducted from the deck of that Mississippi riverboat docked at my birthplace of Hannibal, MO. It was those pesky aliens from the past that supposedly seeded the Earth with life, but I caught the little buggers just returning at night to unplug every plug from the sockets of homes they could enter. Beware! Lock your doors at night and keep laughing. Also earned the #1 rank in Fiction, Disabilities and five Music categories in only's final three years(I acquired my first broken-down PC and only found when it had three years left). I've got a much better computer system now,but still don't have all the puter junk I need. JB ;-)

Chris,Founding Publisher and Original Editor in Chief of is now in Journalism Grad. school at T.U. on the way to becoming a magazine editor so has let the highly-successful Zine go. WXII-TV(the Winston-Salem,N.C. NBC affiliate).