Creative Writing/Character Development

tutorjb1 wrote at 2013-03-15 15:08:42
Hello Victor. I thought I'd just add that while you're in college, try to take every writing course offered and be sure to save your notes, term papers, etc. from every class whether or not it's specifically a writing class. Instead of partying your spare time away, try writing and save every bit. You can expand and combine it later so have at least one book written by the time you graduate. There's a new book from WD titled _Book In A Month_ that explains how to write a novel in a month that'd be worth buying, See http://www.writersdigest.com. I asked him and Larry Block says a month is a reasonable time in which to complete a novel. It will take you longer in college with all your classes, but the principles in BIAM still apply.

Yours,

JB  

Jefferson Bales - tutorjb1 wrote at 2013-07-05 18:18:31
Hello Victor. If you want to be an author, or just havea good tart toward becoming published after you graduate colleg, the best thing by far to do is begin establishing a writing routine now and carry it with you throughpit college. Before starting college, establish a habit of getting up an hour early to write while your mind is clear and your dreams are fresh. After you start college, either continue the practice you establish now or write when you can and devote your weekends to studting your school work while the friends you'll make are out drinking or wasting time in some other way. Your time will be very short and your school studies difficult. Add writing to that and you'll need a routine to be successful at all you encounter. Best of Luck to you. You need to make your own "luck!"

Jefferson Bales - tutorjb1 wrote at 2013-12-19 02:35:07
The books/movies that VLS draws her examples from. _Casablanca_ and _Dracula_ aren't good.

You'd do much better to read _One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest_ by Kem Kesey and watch _The Quick and the Dead_, starring Sam Elliot. Kate Capshaw and Tom Conti and keep them in mind as you read BIAM. There's also a companion Yahoo! group at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/vBIAM to keep those following BIAM encouraged and enthusiastic, but it's not really necessary, though it may help.

Creative Writing

tutorjb1 - Jefferson Bales