Credit Repair/Debt and credit bureau

Dear Mr. Abramsky,

I am recently divorced and in the agreement my wife took all the personal debt for her leaving me free of debt. Do I have to or should I communicate this to the credit bureaus? if so how is it done? Thank you so much for all the information that you can share with regarding this situation.

Yours truly

Hello Alfonso,

The credit bureaus (Experian, Equifax, and TransUnion) only report what is reported to them by creditors and other third party data furnishers.

I would advise you to contact each of the creditors that you have accounts with and notify them of the recent court order giving your wife 100% of the liability for the debt. Send them the court document showing proof of the new agreement.

From my experience, although you have an agreement with your wife regarding her taking over all of the debt. The creditors still have your name on the accounts as a co-borrower. It is up to them whether they want to remove your name off the loans. (which they rarely do.) Technically, they can continue to report the debt on your credit report, if your wife makes a late payment, they can report that late payment on your credit. Because as far as they are concerned, your name is still on the original loan agreement. The only thing that the new agreement between you and your wife does, is protect you from paying the debt in the case of a default.

My advice: Monitor your credit closely and keep an open line of communication with your wife to make sure that she is paying all of the debt on time. If possible, close the old accounts (which are under both your names) and open new accounts under just her name.

Good Luck!

Credit Repair

Michael Abramsky

I can answer questions for U.S. consumers that have issues with their credit reports, improving their credit scores, and dealing with debt collectors. I have extensive knowledge of the FCRA, FDCPA, FCBA, HIPAA, as well as the CDIA's Metro-2 and eOscar credit reporting systems. I am not an Attorney and do not offer Legal advise.

As a Senior Credit Consultant for I help clients leverage consumer protection laws and rebuild their credit to improve their credit scores.

Loyola University Chicago Villanova University CSSBB